First time ever, with silkie chickens

Mystorygamer

In the Brooder
Nov 29, 2020
Hi
Today is Tuesday, 8th December Saturday, on 5th December, I purchased 6 frizzle eggs to go under my, so called "sitting" silkie female plus a silky cross female. Problem, two fought, probably too strong a word, for silkies and silkie crosses (both chooks usually get on, but not this time, silkie cross is always very timid, but has become domineering), me interfering didn't help either, trying to put the eggs under them. They sat on them on and off again. As a result, both abandoned them. This happened over sat and sun, 5th 6th December 2020. The eggs laid Fri 4th, will this on again, off again, have any impact in the end results. I desperately tried to find an incubator, but non to be found in Tasmania (Christmas). I brought the eggs inside put them in a plastic container, with wheels (after googling) with some water inside and put them under 2w heater in hallway, when touched plastic container didn't seem to be 100 degrees, and even though we are in summer, the weather doesn't know that (so changeable at the moment). Have I got any chance of them hatching, I can't even get a thermometer with temp and humidity. I really don't want them to suffer, so any help would gratefully received. Thanks in advance, I'm so worried

Your chances of them hatching are slim in a box with a heater. Could you separate out one of the broody hens into her own pen or cage and give her the eggs? Chances are if they weren’t being sat on consistently in those first couple of days they haven’t started developing yet.

Hi
Today is Tuesday, 8th December Saturday, on 5th December, I purchased 6 frizzle eggs to go under my, so called "sitting" silkie female plus a silky cross female. Problem, two fought, probably too strong a word, for silkies and silkie crosses (both chooks usually get on, but not this time, silkie cross is always very timid, but has become domineering), me interfering didn't help either, trying to put the eggs under them. They sat on them on and off again. As a result, both abandoned them. This happened over sat and sun, 5th 6th December 2020. The eggs laid Fri 4th, will this on again, off again, have any impact in the end results. I desperately tried to find an incubator, but non to be found in Tasmania (Christmas). I brought the eggs inside put them in a plastic container, with wheels (after googling) with some water inside and put them under 2w heater in hallway, when touched plastic container didn't seem to be 100 degrees, and even though we are in summer, the weather doesn't know that (so changeable at the moment). Have I got any chance of them hatching, I can't even get a thermometer with temp and humidity. I really don't want them to suffer, so any help would gratefully received. Thanks in advance, I'm so worried
Hi, a shame your girls didn't stay sitting, are they pullets? First time broody?
If your in Tas, there is a person in Nunamara that hires out incubators and owns and sells Silkies and eggs. If it's not too far from you that might be an option to hire?
I have Silkies and no incubator since they go broody often so I haven't bought one.

Your chances of them hatching are slim in a box with a heater. Could you separate out one of the broody hens into her own pen or cage and give her the eggs? Chances are if they weren’t being sat on consistently in those first couple of days they haven’t started developing yet.

I agree with this. The hen should be given the eggs, but in a separated environment if necessary.

Hi, a shame your girls didn't stay sitting, are they pullets? First time broody?
If your in Tas, there is a person in Nunamara that hires out incubators and owns and sells Silkies and eggs. If it's not too far from you that might be an option to hire?
I have Silkies and no incubator since they go broody often so I haven't bought one.
Also how long have they been broody?
If you can't get an incubator then if one is still broody now, pick one of them and set her up a nest separate from the others so she won't be disturbed. Not sure of your coop set up but she may be go unbroody with the moved nest though so if you can keep her in her original broody nest spot that will work better, but she needs to be blocked off/ undisturbed by the others since they don't get along.

Hi there thanks all of u for your comments, and sorry It's been so long, I'm still not really sure how forums work. In the end, on again off again, finally stayed on. So I decided, to see what happens, but not really holding out much hope, will post again, when I know the final results. Thanks once again for all your help and also Nunamara, it's good to know but unfortunately, a long way from where I live, might start something where I live, like that. ALL have a HAPPY, MERRY and SAFE CHRISTMAS.

Hi there thanks all of u for your comments, and sorry It's been so long, I'm still not really sure how forums work. In the end, on again off again, finally stayed on. So I decided, to see what happens, but not really holding out much hope, will post again, when I know the final results. Thanks once again for all your help and also Nunamara, it's good to know but unfortunately, a long way from where I live, might start something where I live, like that. ALL have a HAPPY, MERRY and SAFE CHRISTMAS.
Yes be sure to update us, hopefully all goes well with the hatch! :fl
Happy Christmas to you too!

Back
Top Bottom