First time experiencing chicken math

:wee
Yes, I think your chicken math is good!
If you're like us, you'll start out saying you're going to start out with three this year, and then slowly add more on over the next two months until you have about 50! Voila!

I'm good at chicken math! Why don't they teach this in school? Everyone would be so much better off...

:wee
Yes, I think your chicken math is good!
If you're like us, you'll start out saying you're going to start out with three this year, and then slowly add more on over the next two months until you have about 50! Voila!

I'm good at chicken math! Why don't they teach this in school? Everyone would be so much better off...
I am so going to take this to my 8th graders. That way they are prepared for chicken math..... they live in the country. As a math teacher I am always struggling to find "examples" and here y'all go giving me example after example. (my kids already think I am nuts!)

I am so going to take this to my 8th graders. That way they are prepared for chicken math..... they live in the country. As a math teacher I am always struggling to find "examples" and here y'all go giving me example after example. (my kids already think I am nuts!)

That's awesome! We need more teachers who teach real life skills :woot

Give this to your kids to compute: Last January, we had 10 chickens and 1 duck. Then 1 fox took away 5 chickens and 1 duck. I wanted a laced wyandotte because I didn't have one of those yet. So in February I ordered 4 laced wyandotte chicks but I needed 25 to get free shipping. I ordered 25 chicks and 15 ducks. In March, we bought a bigger coop. In April the post office called and so I picked up 15 ducklings, 25 chicks, plus 1 extra chick who was probably a rooster. I sold 8 chicks to one friend and 9 chicks and 10 ducklings to another friend. While we were dividing up the chicks and ducks, we noticed they didn't send me any wyandotte chicks so I called the hatchery. They said they'll send me 4 more wyandottes and while I had them on the phone, I felt compelled to order 5 more Ameraucanas. They said they'd need to send "a few" extra free chicks to help keep the others warm. In May, the 2nd batch arrived; there were 5 ameraucanas, 4 Wyandottes, and 6 random freebees that were probably roosters. My friends came back and took all but 2 wyandottes and 2 ameraucanas. In June the fox came back with 2 friends and took away 4 young hens. 2 of those were my only Laced wyandottes. In July our miniature horse flattened 1 chicken. In August, the fox came again and carried off 3 more chickens and we built a bigger better stronger protective fence for our chicken yard. In September I bought 4 more teenage hens off of craigslist. So how many ducks and chickens do I have left?

Back
Top Bottom