First time Guinea owners need some advice.

DaveJenMinTab

Chirping
11 Years
Mar 7, 2012
We have 4 Guineas (unsure of gender) that we purchased from Tractor Supply this past spring. A few weeks ago we started getting 1 egg a day. Our Guineas aren't a year old yet how is this possible?
Also the Guinea I suspect is laying the eggs has recently been limping and or not using her right leg. Upon inspection everything looks fine and she seems to be getting a little better every day. Could the cause be from her laying eggs at an early age? And is there anything I should be added to their diet to help our egg layer?

We have 4 Guineas (unsure of gender) that we purchased from Tractor Supply this past spring. A few weeks ago we started getting 1 egg a day. Our Guineas aren't a year old yet how is this possible?
Also the Guinea I suspect is laying the eggs has recently been limping and or not using her right leg. Upon inspection everything looks fine and she seems to be getting a little better every day. Could the cause be from her laying eggs at an early age? And is there anything I should be added to their diet to help our egg layer?
Guineas are sexually mature by the time they are 6 months old although some people have reported laying at 5 months old.

People in southern states have long enough daylight hours that their guineas sometimes begin laying in the fall of the year they were hatched.

The limp may be due to laying or some other reason. Guineas have very fragile legs.

At the very least your hen needs to have access to free choice oyster shell. Layer feed would also be appropriate for her.

Guineas are sexually mature by the time they are 6 months old although some people have reported laying at 5 months old.

People in southern states have long enough daylight hours that their guineas sometimes begin laying in the fall of the year they were hatched.

The limp may be due to laying or some other reason. Guineas have very fragile legs.

At the very least your hen needs to have access to free choice oyster shell. Layer feed would also be appropriate for her.
Thank you. Do you have any suggestions for easily cracking their eggs?

Back
Top Bottom