First time hatcher - Setting April 8 or 9 - Now what?

PacsMan

Songster
10 Years
Feb 8, 2009
Salt Lake Valley
So, hope to get some good advice. I've raised chickens for 3 years, and have always wanted to hatch some.
I started by buying from a feed store, graduated to ordering from a hatchery, and now I'm graduating to hatching my own.

Bought a brand new GQF 1588, with the turner and digital thermometer, and found a guy who can keep roosters, who wants to try to hatch out some of his eggs.
He was going to bring me a couple of dozen on Friday, but when I called on Thursday, he said that they get a few every day and are "keeping them on the counter with a warm light on them. My son turns them once in awhile."

Wasn't sure that that would work out
wink.png
So I told him to start collecting them again, and just put them in a carton on the counter. No heat. I should have some eggs this Friday.
Hope that way will work out better. I wasn't sure to tell him to put them in the fridge or not.

Any other advice?

Anyone else setting this weekend?

Last edited:
Quote:
Is 10 days too long?

from what I have read here 7 days is about it but have read of some holding eggs longer. after 7 days that start to go down hill. but you can try and see what happens. I am very new at all this and hope that some else will peep in.
This is going to be my first attempt at a hatch.

Last edited:
I just got my incubator yesterday. Setting the "dial" and ready to put in 2 doz eggs tonight! My first time!
big_smile.png

Quote:
gig.gif

When are you setting?

I am hoping for the 9th but I still have to get my Incubator build and that is today project, that is if I can get dh to work on he need to work on for I can cut the fencing that we have to put some metal screen over it so the babies don't fall since the wire fence holes are so big.

Quote:
gig.gif

When are you setting?

...I still have to get my Incubator build...

Have you hatched with a commercial incubator? I'd be afraid that I couldn't keep the temperature or humidity just right. I like the idea of set-em-and-forget-em...

I suppose if you had auto turners, it wouldn't be that hard to make an incubator. Is this your first attempt at making one?

Back
Top Bottom