First time hatchers hatch A-long!

Pics
Hatching is super stressful!! I'm sure your babies are okay then!

My first quail just poked a big enough hole I can see his tiny little beak trying to breathe and peeping and it is taking all my will power not to open the incubator and help him! I have no idea how long it takes them to hatch once they have a decent hole but it feels SOO long right now! I've also only seen a couple others with pip marks, so I'm worrying that the rest are duds...ack. I had no idea this would be so stressful, haha!
That is so exciting! When Early bird made her fist big hole, it took her about 20 more minutes to get all the way out. Its so stressful lol! Thats why I'm so worried about shrink-wrapping hahah! Congrats on your first pipping baby!

Thanks for the reassuring me! See, I know that to, sometimes you just need someone other then yourself to tell you that for you to actually believe it haha!
Your other babies will hopefully start to make progress soon. Sometimes it just takes a bit longer for others to hatch. Especially if you don't have a circulated air incubator, then there can be cold spots in the bator, making it take a bit longer. hopefully they'll start to hatch soon!

Last edited:
How long has this process taken for you? I am trying hard to be patient and not worry that only 3 have pipped, but I am not at all sure how long they take to hatch once they have a good sized hole? Today is day 17, which is the day they are supposed to start hatching so some are right on target, but others not so much. I know they had a slowish start, as it took me a couple days to get the temperatures stable at 100.5, but I have no idea how to gauge any of it! :)
Mine first one took 12 hours from pip to zip and a few took 18. And my first and last eggs to pip were over 36 hours apart. It can also take longer if the chick misses tge air cell on first pip since it’s technically the internal and external pip.

I think Early bird has crooked toes. She is still having a hard time walking, and keeping her legs under her, I'm wondering about straddle leg to, but can't quite tell with her in the bator. Her middle toe on her right foot is crooked for sure though.
Thats alright, she'll just have to wear some stylish booties for a bit hahaha!

Mine first one took 12 hours from pip to zip and a few took 18. And my first and last eggs to pip were over 36 hours apart. It can also take longer if the chick misses tge air cell on first pip since it’s technically the internal and external pip.
Okay, I will not stress too much and give them a bit of time. I don't know how long quail take to run out of reserves...so I don't want to wait too long but don't want to jump in too soon!

I think Early bird has crooked toes. She is still having a hard time walking, and keeping her legs under her, I'm wondering about straddle leg to, but can't quite tell with her in the bator. Her middle toe on her right foot is crooked for sure though.
Thats alright, she'll just have to wear some stylish booties for a bit hahaha!
It really depends on the chick to, @kurby22. By the time I noticed the pip, she was already zipping and was out in about 20 minutes. Other take hours, I don't know for sure how long before I noticed she had been trying to get out though.
Okay, that helps! I am sure that it's lots of work for such teeny tiny things!

What kind of bootie do you make to help with that? I have heard a couple people mention they use something to help with their feet! Thanks for the help!

Okay, that helps! I am sure that it's lots of work for such teeny tiny things!

What kind of bootie do you make to help with that? I have heard a couple people mention they use something to help with their feet! Thanks for the help!
The ones I plan to make are just a small cut out of cardboard, then you take vet wrap and wrap their feet to the cardboard so the toes have to sit flat.
It looks like she has two crooked toes on her right foot, whenever she tries to preen on her left side and puts weight on her right foot, she loses balance and rolls onto her back. Her left foot only has one crooked toe, so she's doing alright on that one. I'll get pics once I can get out of the bator. ☺️

The ones I plan to make are just a small cut out of cardboard, then you take vet wrap and wrap their feet to the cardboard so the toes have to sit flat.
It looks like she has two crooked toes on her right foot, whenever she tries to preen on her left side and puts weight on her right foot, she loses balance and rolls onto her back. Her left foot only has one crooked toe, so she's doing alright on that one. I'll get pics once I can get out of the bator. ☺️
Okay cool, thanks! Pics always help me a lot!

Back
Top Bottom