First Time Hatching - Crossing my Fingers!!

PattyNH

Songster
6 Years
Sep 13, 2016
New Hampshire - USA
Super excited to try my hand at hatching! I had a chance to get some purebred hatching eggs locally for three breeds I've been wanting to add to my flock and jumped at it.

Since it is my first experience, I didn't want to buy a pricey incubator in case I give up after hatch #1 (or, more likely, follow the path of the infamous incubator queens, whose 'bators are always calling out for "just one more batch!!").

I found a "used 1 time" still air incubator with an egg turner for $60 on CL and figured here's my shot. I'd already requested the eggs be collected so I needed an incubator pronto. I did some research and followed suggestions for improvements, so bought a backup thermometer/hygrometer and a fan unit for the incubator I now owned. I set it up and watched it to make sure it could maintain temp - so far so good!

I got my eggs today - Crested Cream Legbar x4, F2 Olive Egger x4, and BCM x1 (unfortunately her hens had gone broody and stopped laying so I have only one, precious BCM egg). The eggs were all collected 4/5-4/7, except for the BCM which was collected 4/4. They're beautiful!

At 5pm tonight they went into the incubator. Wish me luck!! #21Days&Counting

Attachments

• 20210410_183419.jpg
    20210410_183419.jpg
    435.2 KB · Views: 5
Super excited to try my hand at hatching! I had a chance to get some purebred hatching eggs locally for three breeds I've been wanting to add to my flock and jumped at it.

Since it is my first experience, I didn't want to buy a pricey incubator in case I give up after hatch #1 (or, more likely, follow the path of the infamous incubator queens, whose 'bators are always calling out for "just one more batch!!").

I found a "used 1 time" still air incubator with an egg turner for $60 on CL and figured here's my shot. I'd already requested the eggs be collected so I needed an incubator pronto. I did some research and followed suggestions for improvements, so bought a backup thermometer/hygrometer and a fan unit for the incubator I now owned. I set it up and watched it to make sure it could maintain temp - so far so good!

I got my eggs today - Crested Cream Legbar x4, F2 Olive Egger x4, and BCM x1 (unfortunately her hens had gone broody and stopped laying so I have only one, precious BCM egg). The eggs were all collected 4/5-4/7, except for the BCM which was collected 4/4. They're beautiful!

At 5pm tonight they went into the incubator. Wish me luck!! #21Days&Counting
Very exciting! Good luck! Hope you have a great hatch! :D

Back
Top Bottom