NienkeJanna

Hatching
Apr 16, 2018
hey everyone,

Today I bought some quail eggs to try and incubate them. Recently I bought a simple incubator from Amazon to try it out.
This is the one: 32624801280.html

So my dad and I decided to design a new egg holder to fit al 12 eggs with a 3D printer.

Now I ran into a problem. I can not control the humidity and it does not have an automatic turner.

How should I control my humidity now or can I try leaving it aside? I did read that some people put sponges in the water channels in the last few days so the humidity goes up. Will this be enough?

With turning the eggs I was wondering how I should turn them. They are standing in the incubator, so I can't turn them from one side to another. Should I maybe put something under one side of the incubator so it's standing at an angle and change this around a few times a day?

Attachments

• Schermafbeelding 2018-04-16 om 11.14.29.png
    Schermafbeelding 2018-04-16 om 11.14.29.png
    404.5 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
tilting the bator is the way to do it.
that part you have right.
you say you are having humidity problems.
but you don't say if it is high , or low ?
OR what it reads..?
does it hold the temp well ?
do not get the eggs wet.

First Off let me say Welcome to BYC!! :welcome We are all so glad you could join us!

That incubator was the first one I ever bought. Mine held temp perfectly but humidity was way to low. Also mine didn't read humidity. I tried using it with chicken and duck eggs both were tried separate of course. I got humidity up by putting a small candle holder cup in the middle. I too tilted the incubator multiple times a day. I used a 2"x2" piece of spare lumber. As for hatching, I incubated 6 chicken eggs the first go around. The eggs were from a local farm. All 6 eggs developed, but only one hatched. The second go around was with mallard duck eggs from my own mallards. I tried incubating 6 but it was almost a tight fit with the candle holder in the middle. All eggs developed but all eggs quit around the 2nd-3rd week of incubation. I've never tried incubating quail eggs in it.
I hope for your hatching to go better! Coturnix Quail's eggs arn't as fragile to incubation as chickens or duck eggs in my experience. I once tried hatching quail eggs in a little giant 9300 incubator without adding water at all the entire time. Out of 120 coturnix quail eggs, 56 quails hatched. The eggs were shipped to me from a seller on ebay.

tilting the bator is the way to do it.
that part you have right.
you say you are having humidity problems.
but you don't say if it is high , or low ?
OR what it reads..?
does it hold the temp well ?
do not get the eggs wet.

I am not sure, it doesn't read the humidity at all.

Back
Top Bottom