First time hatching in a homemade bator!!

It's official we r in lockdown!! Crossing r fingers! Sunday is day 21! I even took monday off of work so I could stay home and keep an eye on things just in case we have some or all late hatchers! Plus the kiddies r out of school for Presidents' Day!! They r just as excited as I am!!

It's official we r in lockdown!! Crossing r fingers! Sunday is day 21! I even took monday off of work so I could stay home and keep an eye on things just in case we have some or all late hatchers! Plus the kiddies r out of school for Presidents' Day!! They r just as excited as I am!!
Good Luck!! Did you candle the eggs before lock-down? Just for info---Your floor wire is to big for just hatched chicks. What type thermostat are you using?

I laid news paper under the eggs after I candled them, so their feet don't fall thru and get stuck or even broke! The thermostat looking thing is actually an indoor/outdoor thermometer but I'm using it to read humidity and the other thermometer for my temp! After calibrating different ones the old one was most accurate compared to the digital one! As far as temp goes!

I laid news paper under the eggs after I candled them, so their feet don't fall thru and get stuck or even broke! The thermostat looking thing is actually an indoor/outdoor thermometer but I'm using it to read humidity and the other thermometer for my temp! After calibrating different ones the old one was most accurate compared to the digital one! As far as temp goes!
I see your thermometers----I was talking about the Thermostat-----that controls the temp----to hold it steady----so it don't get to hot or to cold?

If your water is below the wire and you cover the wire with news paper----would it affect the air circulation and humidity?

Last edited:
My bad PD-Riverman my thermostat is a dimmer switch. Like I said in my original post it's all made of stuff I had laying around! Thought I'd give it a go. There is news paper only covering 2/3 of the wire floor. I'm using a baby medicine syringe with some extra refrigerator Icemaker water line hose on it to moisten up my sponge to keep the humidity up where it needs to be. Feeding the hose through the vent hole! Thanks for the tips info and concerns PD-Riverman, it's my first time with a homemade bator or even ever incubating all the info is very helpful and useful from everyone!!

My bad PD-Riverman my thermostat is a dimmer switch. Like I said in my original post it's all made of stuff I had laying around! Thought I'd give it a go. There is news paper only covering 2/3 of the wire floor. I'm using a baby medicine syringe with some extra refrigerator Icemaker water line hose on it to moisten up my sponge to keep the humidity up where it needs to be. Feeding the hose through the vent hole! Thanks for the tips info and concerns PD-Riverman, it's my first time with a homemade bator or even ever incubating all the info is very helpful and useful from everyone!!
Can you keep the temp "in range" with the dimmer? Do you have to adjust it alot during the day? I seen your thermometer was reading 115 as a high is the reason I am curious.

Yeah it's a bit touchy to keep it in range but for the most part I can keep it at 100. Reason it was at 115 is cause of my 2 year old son watching me and decided to help daddy...when daddy wasn't around!! But no don't have to adjust very often it holds it's own for the most part.

Hatching question: the big day is tomorrow (21st day)!!!
Should I be expecting piping today? Or does all this happen once the chick decides it's time to blow this joint?

Back
Top Bottom