First time helping my momma's

kjkmmomma

In the Brooder
Mar 3, 2016
Help please! This is my first time with my hens hatching chicks, we are on day 22, I have one egg with a crack.. (A Zip)
1f606.png
. A couple that have small spots that look like they are thinner..I haven't touched all of them because, well I have 2 momma's that don't like that idea.
1f606.png
. I live in Indiana, IT IS COLD! I have a "sweeter heater" ready for the chicks if they need it , and a red light in the coop too. What do I do after they hatch? Do I do anything? Will my momma's take care of all of it? ( keeping them warm is my concern really)
Any help is greatly appreciated, I'm super excited, I've had my babies since they were 2 days old, I've raised chicks before, but I don't want to separate them if I can avoid it. I have Silkie's, 3 hens and 1 handsome rooster, ( my rooster even takes his turn sometimes sitting on the eggs)
1f60d.png
Thanks guys!

The mommas will know what to do. They are great at knowing to keep them warm and will keep them up and under them. If you are really worried you could add a heat lamp to the coop. We had babies in our coop hatch out about 3 weeks ago. The momma did a great job with them. They are doing great. Try not to worry. Just enjoy the experience!

Ditto on Kuchicks advice - momma hen knows best, so let her do her thing and enjoy it.

CT

Beautiful splash! Hard to tell if it's a roo from the pic. How old? I heard a saying not too long ago that you will be able to sex your silkies by either hearing them crow or seeing them lay an egg... basically silkies are incredibly hard to sex. I have a buff that I am almost certain it is a pullet, but no egg yet. Also all of the back feathers are intact so the roos are not getting "on board" (LOL!). BUT there is no comb either. Both of my silkie roos have a definite comb... One kind of like a pea comb, the other a nice tall comb.

Back
Top Bottom