WVduckchick

🐓🦆For the Birds!🦆🐓
Premium Feather Member
9 Years
Feb 9, 2015
West Virginia
My Coop
My Coop
Well I have 5 little eggs that just went into lockdown. I candled them all prior to locking down and 1 was extremely active, so I penciled it #1. #2 and #3 were pretty active too. #4 and #5 are darker and not so obvious, but I think they are ok.

Asking for good vibes for the next few days! Also, I can't seem to get the humidity above 62%. I feel like I've added a lot of water, but should I add more or let it settle and add more later?

Well I have 5 little eggs that just went into lockdown. I candled them all prior to locking down and 1 was extremely active, so I penciled it #1. #2 and #3 were pretty active too. #4 and #5 are darker and not so obvious, but I think they are ok.

Asking for good vibes for the next few days! Also, I can't seem to get the humidity above 62%. I feel like I've added a lot of water, but should I add more or let it settle and add more later?
I use wet sponges in my bator. I prefer 75% at lockdown hatch and the wet sponges work well for me.

Oh goodness. I know there are varying opinions on humidity around here. I think I'll leave it alone for tonite, but I doubt I'll stop worrying. Temp seems to be hovering between 99.1 and 99.8.

Oh goodness. I know there are varying opinions on humidity around here. I think I'll leave it alone for tonite, but I doubt I'll stop worrying. Temp seems to be hovering between 99.1 and 99.8.
Lol, when it comes to humidity everyone has their own theory/preference. As long as it works for them (you), that's all that counts. When it doesn't work, you try a different method. :)

Thanks Amy, I think I was looking for some hand-holding as much as advice because I already figured its going to come down to what works for me lol

Another question... I didn't weigh these babies as they came along, just recently read about the need to loose 11-13% weight. Is this calculated from the original weight of the egg when set to day 21? I'm sure I can find this on the site somewhere, but if someone wants to explain it here, I'd appreciate it.

Don't worry about 60%, It can be harder to get your humidity up in the winter with the heat on. A little higher wouldn't hurt but I've gone into lock down at 60% more often then not and it always works just fine. And Lazy Gardener is right when that first chick hatches the your humidity will go up on it's own. I do most of my hatching in the late winter or early spring and use the dry hatch method 35% incubate and 50-55% for lock down. The only time I've had a problem with shrink wrapping was when two chicks decided to take a nap on top of an egg that was zipping. Even then a little warm water and a q-tip solved the problem she wasn't stuck to bad. If you can maintain 60% you'll be fine.
Good luck with your hatch Dan

Thanks Dan! I'm staying steady at 60. I did turn up the heat in the house a few degrees. We are having very cold temps the next few days, down in the teens (*F), and I think outside humidity is up.

Thanks Amy, I think I was looking for some hand-holding as much as advice because I already figured its going to come down to what works for me lol

Another question... I didn't weigh these babies as they came along, just recently read about the need to loose 11-13% weight. Is this calculated from the original weight of the egg when set to day 21? I'm sure I can find this on the site somewhere, but if someone wants to explain it here, I'd appreciate it.
Yes, it's 11-13% during the incubation less than the start weight at set. Another way to keep track if they are loosing the right amount of weight (moisture) is by monitoring the egg's air cells. (This is the method I use.) The whole reason for controlling humidity is so the egg looses the right amount of moisture and the air cell grows at the right rate. In case you are unfamiliar with the egg graph:

If at these days your air cells are too big you know that your egg is loosing too much moisture too fast and you need to increase your humidity to slow it down. If the air cells are too small then you know that your humidity is to high and not enough moisture is escaping and your humidity needs to be lowered so the egg can release it's moisture.

In the same regards, if you are weighing your eggs and they are not loosing enough you know your humidity is too high and you need to lessen it, if they are loosing weight at an advanced rate then you know you need a higher humidity.

Last edited:
I have seen the graph but your explanation helps alot! And actually I think my cells are on the small side, so maybe the lower humidity is a good thing.

Back
Top Bottom