First time incubating... I can see veins!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Kathrynmodra, Aug 15, 2013.

1. Kathrynmodra

Kathrynmodra Out Of The Brooder

Jul 10, 2013
    Ok so this is my first time incubating. A few months ago I purchased an incubator, but I was too nervous to try it in case I did something wrong so I just brought chicks. I purchased more chicks 5 days ago and the lady gave me 4 araucana eggs. I decided to put them in the incubator. I can't believe it but I candled them today (day 4) and I can see veins in one of them! I am soooo excited. The others are a slightly darker shade so hard to see. I make out a two toned dark ring. It hard to explain. I think I can see a couple of tiny viens in one of the dark rings. But the other 2 nothing. All I can say is they all look very different to a shop brought egg.

I hope this works out, I'd love to see a chick hatch!

When should i candle again so i can be sure they are all developing?

2. Animal lover342

Animal lover342 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 7, 2013
    Maybe in four or five days. You should definitely see veins by then in the others if they are fertile.

3. Happy Camper

Happy Camper Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2012
    Puerto Rico
    Congrats! Incubating is sooooooo exciting! You should see veins clearly on day 7 , but please wait until day 10 to discard undeveloped ones. Just to be extra sure!

4. Kathrynmodra

Jul 10, 2013
    Thanks I'll do that. It's going to be a long few days waiting!

5. Kathrynmodra

Jul 10, 2013
    Here is my day 4 pic of the veins. Im so excited because I can see it in ALL the eggs. Now the incubator is tightly shut. No more peeking until day 10. Its going to be a long 6 days [​IMG]

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  6. Animal lover342

Animal lover342 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 7, 2013
    Well that's great news. I hope everything works out for you :)

7. Happy Camper

Happy Camper Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2012
    Puerto Rico
    How is everything going?:D

8. Kathrynmodra

Jul 10, 2013
    Fantastic! 3 little chicks hatched yesterday and overnight. They hatched so well and it was a text book hatch. They are healthy and strong little chicks and totally adorable. My kids watched 2 of them enter the world and were amazed, it was such a wonderful experience for all of us. One egg quit at around 5 days development, and i disposed of it prior to lockdown. So 3 out of 4 for our first attempt!

Thanks for following up, I am so happy to tell out news to anyone who will listen :)

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by