1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

First time I've ever experienced lice in my flock?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Matt98, Aug 26, 2014.

1. Matt98

Matt98 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 25, 2014
    At least I think its lice. Im not sure, they look like headlice (that people get). Yesterday I noticed my buff orp Peach had lost a few feathers. I grabbed her this morning to check her and a clump of her tail feathers came out in my hand[​IMG] Then I flicked up the feathers on her neck and there these semi see through headlice shaped things were on the shafts. What should I do? I moved her into a small pin on her own, away from the other 9 girls who don't seem to have a problem at all. I didn't see any eggs or anyting on her I just saw the lice things.

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
  3. Matt98

Matt98 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 25, 2014
    I couldn't find any of those in Ireland lol, So I did some research and came up with wood ash. I dusted her yesterday, by which stage she somehow seemed better herself. I checked the feathers on her neck - that's where the worst were - and I didn't see any lice. her feathers are also regrowing nicely enough. When should I reintroduce her to the flock? Any specific areas to check before I do so? She was the only one affected (she went broody), I checked all the other hens, they have all been moved into the new run since anyways
    Thanks [​IMG]

4. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    You might look for carbaryl 5% or permethrin 10% dust or spray in a garden store or hardware store. Wood ash can help especially if it is in a dust bath they are using daily, but it may not get rid of them. For an infestation, you will probably need the chemicals.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by