First time need help

I have a long island red hen and buff orpington rooster I started incubating I'm on day 17 the air pockets seem small little bigger then a quarter and I can't seem to see movement in one egg

Did you trace the air cells? If you can get a pic, that might help.

What kind of incubator, what has temp and humidity been running so far.

The humidity may have been too high, so there wasn't as much moisture loss.
I'd also check out this thread, as the 1st page as lots of links to information - plus Sally Sunshine is very helpful with incubating.
Hope you have a good hatch!
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...g-w-sally-sunshine-hosts-bantychooks-and-more

while that's a great hatching thread, and many knowledgeable folks, it's sometimes hard for a new member to ...um...negotiate the tons of replies. But yes the first page does have good info.

Last edited:
The humidity may have been too high, so there wasn't as much moisture loss.
I'd also check out this thread, as the 1st page as lots of links to information - plus Sally Sunshine is very helpful with incubating.
Hope you have a good hatch!
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...g-w-sally-sunshine-hosts-bantychooks-and-more

while that's a great hatching thread, and many knowledgeable folks, it's sometimes hard for a new member to ...um...negotiate the tons of replies.

Yep, without you and Ravynfallen Bouncer would not be the pooping machine he is today.....

Cheers!!!

50% is a bit high, usually. Humidity is hard to gage, because different things come into play. Local humidity, if you live in a humid area vs a dry area. Time of year, shell quality, size of eggs, etc.

But anyway....you're already on day 17?? At this point, I would give them one more day without increasing humidity. Even lower it for a day, if you can. Then crank it up on day 19, and hope for the best.

Unfortunately, it's somewhat trial and error to begin hatching... Find what works for you.

By the way, I candle almost every day and have great hatches. I don't always handle the eggs, unless I want a better look, but I do candle almost daily as they sit. ;)

I've seen worse! Those are a bit small, and still some fluidy area up around the membrane. Give them an extra day with lower humidity and I think they will be fine.

Back
Top Bottom