First time owning chickens

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by GardenGal, Mar 11, 2011.

1. GardenGal

GardenGal Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2011
    Western WA
    Hi, my name is Rebekah and I'm looking to get 4 or 5 sussex or buff orpington (basically any friendly, dual purpose breed) hens for our somewhat urban home. I'm thinking of going with pullets since I'm a newbie. If you guys have any advice, I'd sure appreciate it! Looking forward to browsing your forum. Thanks!

Last edited: Mar 11, 2011
  2. Chicken.Lytle

Chicken.Lytle Chillin' With My Peeps

Welcome to BYC! I started with chickens over the summer and the people of BYC have been great. Please visit my BYC Page for my blog links that you may find informative or amusing.

I started with pullets claimed to be at point of lay. Except for being off by a couple months, it was a great way to start.

3. GardenGal

GardenGal Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2011
    Western WA
    Thank you, Chicken Lytle! Looking forward to perusing your blog further - loved the dust bath story [​IMG]

4. Wild Trapper

Wild Trapper Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2011
    Ohio
    [​IMG] from Ohio [​IMG]

Pullets day old up to six month old would be a good start. Don't overlook the danger of "chicken math" which will sometimes end up in a new person getting totally crazy and suddenly finding way too many chickens in their coop. [​IMG] So far I have not found the cure, but DW ends up selling the extras on me. [​IMG]

5. ghillie

ghillie Hen Pecked

Nov 13, 2008
    Colorado Springs, Co
    [​IMG]

6. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Welcome to BYC.

7. Cacciatore

Cacciatore Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 19, 2011
    San Pablo, CA
    Welcome from Northern California. [​IMG]

8. Chick_In_The_Burbs

Chick_In_The_Burbs Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2010
    Western Washington
    [​IMG] from Colorado!

You might want to look at having an EE in your flock! Green eggs are AWESOME and the hens are super hardy! Mine are doing fine up here and it's been as low as -20F with weeks where we go from highs of 60F to lows of 0F! And I'm averaging 5-6 eggs each per week! If you have a local feed store they'll usually have a bulletin board around with adds you can look through too!

Remember just have fun!!

9. MSDeb

MSDeb Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG]

10. CountryRoosterUSA

CountryRoosterUSA Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG] from N.W. Tennessee

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by