First time owning chickens

GardenGal

Songster
8 Years
Mar 11, 2011
Western WA
Hi, my name is Rebekah and I'm looking to get 4 or 5 sussex or buff orpington (basically any friendly, dual purpose breed) hens for our somewhat urban home. I'm thinking of going with pullets since I'm a newbie. If you guys have any advice, I'd sure appreciate it! Looking forward to browsing your forum. Thanks!

Last edited:
Welcome to BYC! I started with chickens over the summer and the people of BYC have been great. Please visit my BYC Page for my blog links that you may find informative or amusing.

I started with pullets claimed to be at point of lay. Except for being off by a couple months, it was a great way to start.

Thank you, Chicken Lytle! Looking forward to perusing your blog further - loved the dust bath story
smile.png

welcome-byc.gif
from Ohio
frow.gif

Pullets day old up to six month old would be a good start. Don't overlook the danger of "chicken math" which will sometimes end up in a new person getting totally crazy and suddenly finding way too many chickens in their coop.
idunno.gif
So far I have not found the cure, but DW ends up selling the extras on me.
hide.gif

welcome-byc.gif
from Colorado!

You might want to look at having an EE in your flock! Green eggs are AWESOME and the hens are super hardy! Mine are doing fine up here and it's been as low as -20F with weeks where we go from highs of 60F to lows of 0F! And I'm averaging 5-6 eggs each per week! If you have a local feed store they'll usually have a bulletin board around with adds you can look through too!

Remember just have fun!!

Back
Top Bottom