First time processing

Novicehen

Chirping
Jul 6, 2021
This was a very emotional and labor intensive day, but I think it was a success.

Attachments

• 58612.jpeg
    58612.jpeg
    69.6 KB · Views: 30
  • 58668.jpeg
    58668.jpeg
    110.6 KB · Views: 18
  • 58615.jpeg
    58615.jpeg
    69.9 KB · Views: 19
  • 58613.jpeg
    58613.jpeg
    69.6 KB · Views: 19
Good for you. Those birds look very clean! My DH still cant figure out how to get the lungs out properly.
If you swipe down the rib cage starting from the top of the chest cavity and pull towards the backbone, your fingers can get in between the ribs and you can scrape out the lungs more easily. I don't know if I explained that very well, but hopefully you can pass this along to your DH and it helps.

If you swipe down the rib cage starting from the top of the chest cavity and pull towards the backbone, your fingers can get in between the ribs and you can scrape out the lungs more easily. I don't know if I explained that very well, but hopefully you can pass this along to your DH and it helps.
Oh I know. Ive had to finish cleaning the birds after hes removed the majority of the organs. Hes very good and clean about that part but he has a hard time getting his whole hand in the cavity. Last time though he only managed to leave one lung in. I usually place a finger between 2 ribs and t rex arm it out

Oh I know. Ive had to finish cleaning the birds after hes removed the majority of the organs. Hes very good and clean about that part but he has a hard time getting his whole hand in the cavity. Last time though he only managed to leave one lung in. I usually place a finger between 2 ribs and t rex arm it out
I've found that if I clean the bird except for the lungs, and throw them in my cooler full of ice water until all chicks are processed, and THEN take the lungs out... It's much easier. Maybe they separate a bit from the bone as they chill?

Anecdotal, I know, but it really seemed to make it much easier.

I've found that if I clean the bird except for the lungs, and throw them in my cooler full of ice water until all chicks are processed, and THEN take the lungs out... It's much easier. Maybe they separate a bit from the bone as they chill?

Anecdotal, I know, but it really seemed to make it much easier.
I flush the carcass out with cold water and the lungs firm up, coming out easier

Back
Top Bottom