First time raising meat birds - my journey of raising Cornish X in the city

Pics
A snuggle box is a shelter with 3 sides and a top, or sometimes with a 4th side partially enclosed. You then put straw, old towels or wool scraps in the box, and the chicks, in theory, can huddle in there to keep warm. I say, in theory, because my chicks mostly seemed to want to sleep on top of it. But, I've read on this forum that other people have successfully used them.

I think with lows only in the mid-50s, the layer chicks would be OK, heat-wise in the tractor. However, I would separate out the two layer chicks for two reasons. First, they may find it increasingly difficult to compete for food and water against the CX. Second, I assume you are going to be ultimately moving those chicks into a coop with adult chickens. I would my focus on getting getting those chicks used to/integrated into the coop where they will live.
Thanks so much! That's really helpful. The layers are already starting to have some trouble competing for food, so I do think it will be best to separate them. I think I'll try using the snuggle box when I move the meat birds out. Can't hurt!

SICK MEAT CHICK! Please help!!!

One of my birds is sick. They are just shy of 3 weeks old and have been healthy and active so far. This morning I noticed one was a bit lethargic, not moving so much and just sitting or standing with his eyes closed while the others zoomed around, ate, and drank.

signal-2022-09-30-12-32-50-569.jpg

This afternoon I told myself I'd give him a drop or two of Nutri Drench if he still looked bad. Well, I went back out and he looked worse, plus there was some brown liquid dripping down his beak. I stepped away for a moment to get the Nutri Drench and when I came back, he was shaking his head and spreading the brown liquid all over the brooder and the other birds!

I quickly got a rubbermaid tub from the basement and one of my plant lights and put him in there. He vomited the brown liquid into the water as I lowered him in!

signal-2022-09-30-12-33-29-987.jpg
signal-2022-09-30-12-33-41-170.jpg

What do you guys suggest I do for this guy? Would Nutri Drench still be a good idea if his stomach is this upset? Sugar water maybe?

Also, what about the other chicks? I just changed their bedding this morning and that's when I noticed the sick chick. Should I change it again because of his vomit? Should I add Nutri Drench or Sav a Chick to their water?

I'm sorry to hear this. My best guess is that it is sour crop. Dos the liquid stink? Does the crop feel balloon like?

You might also want to start of fresh post in the emergencies forum.
Thank you! I did also start a thread there right after posting this. The liquid does stink. The crop feels full and squishy. He keeps trying to rest his head, but every few seconds it seems his beak fills with fluid and he has to tilt his head back and swallow to get it back down. Someone in the emergencies thread suggested monostat antifungal cream for treating sour crop. Is it okay to treat a meat bird with something like this?

I had a 5 week old CX with sour crop once. I did try monostat, but it didn't help. I ended up culling the chick. I did feed the meat to my dogs, as aside from the monostat, I wasn't comfortable eating a sick chicken.

It's not common, but sometimes these CX do develop health issues.

Sorry you are going thru this.

Last edited:
I had a 5 week old CX with sour crop once. I did try to monostat, but it didn't help. I ended up culled the chick. I did feed the meat to my dogs, as aside from the monostat, I wasn't comfortable eating a sick chicken.

It's not common, but sometimes these CX do develop health issues.

Sorry you are going thru this.
Thank you. I appreciate the kind words. Unfortunately giving him the Monistat didn't go well... In trying to get his mouth open, he vomited/spit up all the brown liquid all over my hands. I'm not sure how much of the cream got in his mouth. Not much. So I tried seeing if he would eat some plain yogurt. He wouldn't, but I was putting some on the end of his beak and he would lick it off, maybe out of reflex.

I kind of think this guy is a goner if I'm not going to be able to put anything in his mouth. I'll try again later though and just cross my fingers that he gets better overnight, not worse.

Absolutely no improvement this morning unfortunately. :( What do you guys think? Keep going with the Monistat or cull?

Poor little guy's suffering. I want to give him a chance but he's still regurgitating and I also do not see any poop in the wood shavings and he's been in there for about 24 hours. Almost sounds like more than just sour crop to me.

@Morrigan at what point did you make the call?

If he can't eat or poop, and the monistat may no improvement overnight, I would cull. I'm really sorry this had to happen in your first go at CX.

How are the rest of your chicks doing? If they are all well and good, i's just really lousy luck.

If he can't eat or poop, and the monistat may no improvement overnight, I would cull. I'm really sorry this had to happen in your first go at CX.

How are the rest of your chicks doing? If they are all well and good, i's just really lousy luck.
Thanks for getting back to me. All the others are doing great and I gave them some Sav A Chick in their water today just in case they may need a little boost. I was able to give the sick chick a dose of the Monistat before I left this morning, but if there's no improvement later, I think my fiance and I will have a decision to make. I always want to give them a chance, but don't want to prolong suffering unnecessarily.

Back
Top Bottom