First timer dummy question

Goyo's Girl

In the Brooder
9 Years
May 6, 2010
Walla Walla, Washington
My hens are 20 weeks old today. So far no eggs, but I'm not concerned yet. Just wondering, should I place dummy eggs in the nest box to give them the idea of where to lay, or just wait and see where/when the lay and play it by ear?

Goyo's Girl :

My hens are 20 weeks old today. So far no eggs, but I'm not concerned yet. Just wondering, should I place dummy eggs in the nest box to give them the idea of where to lay, or just wait and see where/when the lay and play it by ear?

Go ahead with dummy eggs. They may not get it anyhow. Just try to not let them roost in the nest boxes.

and Welcome to BYC

I'm in Renton. Check out the Washingtonians thread in the where are you forum

Imp​

It couldn't hurt. I did it with mine and, while it did not speed up the process, they did know where to lay when the time came. I put some golf balls in the coop and they would roll them around and out of there way when they wanted to. Hope you get your first egg soon!

The best way to get your hens to begin laying is to give up on the idea of home-grown eggs and go out to the store and buy yourself several dozen of their best, most expensive organic-free-range-cage-free-nest-laying-hand-collected eggs. The further you must drive to obtain these and the more money you spend on them, the more likely it will be that your girls will have begun laying double-yolked eggs of their own while you were at the store. They'll probably lay them in the driveway for you to run over as you park your vehicle at home.

20 weeks is still early for some hens, you may have to wait until 22-24 weeks. It will be worth the wait!

Yes, put the fake eggs in. They may not get the idea right away, but within a week, they will usually get the eggs where they are supposed to be. Don't put an egg in every box though, I have some girls that prefer an empty nest and some who want the eggs in the box.

Thanks for the feedback...love the suggestion to buy expensive, organic store bought eggs! Made me laugh out loud. I have 2 cartons of them in the fridge right now! My hens don't roost in the nest boxes; so far they've used the upper roost pole (old salvaged wood ladder), they pretty much stay out of the boxes. There's a window in the coop wall directly across from the nest boxes and I'm worried that it might be too bright in there; hope not.
cool.png

welcome-byc.gif

They will figure it out. when my girls started I was finding eggs everywhere.
I kept picking the eggs up and placing them in the boxes. They will get it for the most part.
I still find one or two where they don't belong.
The only Dumb question is the one not asked. Their are a lot of very helpful people here.
It is possibly the best place on the net for chicken lovers. That first egg is the best one enjoy it.

I don't think the light will bother them...I think I have read that they need 14 hours of daylight...the sex-links don't seem to take that to heart. Ours laid all winter.

Back
Top Bottom