First timer needs some guidence...

holliewould

Songster
11 Years
May 15, 2008
Planet Earth
This is a fair warning, I'm a newbie and will be asking quite a few dumb questions in the next month. Here goes...

I will be raising meaties in September and October in Ocala(can't wait). I'm super scared to start this project off with them jumbo cornishes. Mainly because I know it will be hot. Plus I hear they give some people terrible nightmares. So I guess what I'm asking is, what about them frying pan specials? How come they are only 13.50 for 25 birds? Are they just too small? Can they be processed in a couple of months like the cornishes?

Thanks!

No question is dumb.It's dumb if you don't know and won't ask.

Those specials are most always standerd breed roosters that were left-overs.Everybody wants hens nobody wants roosters.This is their market to get rid of them.
You won't get the meat out of one of those like a jumbo cornish,not even close.You may like the taste but might have to cook a few to make a meal.
It wouldn't be a bad deal for someone who butchers his own every so often as long as you didn't mind the size.Will

The frying pan special rooster will not grow as fast as the cornish cross so they will not be ready for processing in two months unless you don't mind little birds.

The cornish are bred for bigger breast meat and such. They're ready to process sooner because they grow like pigs. The frying pan special, as mentioned, is just left over roosters. They may take an extra month or so to grow and won't be as big, but they still make a decent meal. So what you buy, really depends on how much meat you want and when you're willing to butcher.

Good luck and welcome to BYC
big_smile.png

Thanks Willheveland. Say, I'm borrowing my bosses farm for two months because we close up shop. So really I only have 2 months until I have to get back home and open everything up again. So I'm really confused on the type of poultry I should get. Everyone seems to be raving on the freedom rangers lately. Can they too be processed in a couple of months? Honestly, I would be happy with anything above 3lbs.

If I have to start my first time off with those cornishes, then I will. Just scared is all.

Quote:
When you guys say "leftover roosters".....are you talking chicks? Or are they a bit older? Curious. I ask because EVERYONE is giving away roosters.

the frying pan special are usually birds like white leghorn roosters. i don't think they would be worth processing at 8 weeks.

the cornish aren't that bad. you may have an easier time with the rangers, but if you only have 8 weeks, i would recommend the cornish. the rangers take at least 10 weeks to get to their recommended weight. they don't really "bloom" until the 9th or 10th week, whereas, the cornish are ready at 8. you can even process them at 4wks and get you some cornish hens.

just make sure you have a big enough brooder for the number of birds you get. give them clean water and feed them 24/7 at least the first 3 weeks. after that, you may want to take away their food at night but always make sure they have water. feed them where they have to get up and walk and keep them at a place where the weather, whether it's hot or cooler, stays pretty constant.

Quote:
Well,almost everybody.You haven't heard me raving on the Freedom Rangers.They wouldn't be for me,I'm a Cornish guy. Will
p.s. I wouldn't want to suggest a breed for meat that I haven't raised for myself.There are many here who have bought stock in them though,they may be able to help you.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom