First turkey eggs

Your hen has a Momma instinct sitting on chicken eggs :)

my Burbon Red Tom stands guard over the enterance to where my two hens are sitting on their clutches

Last edited:
You mean like this? My wife was floored the first time she seen "Turkey Sex" - as she calls it :lol

Yep exactly....I dunno if you read my post in the other thread, but me thought our Tom was perhaps well "a dud" because he didn't seem to be doing his job servicing the ladies. They were laying down in front of him and he was well, eating, basking, strutting & not really paying any attention.
So funny story, I went out to the coop and one of my hens laid down at my feet like I am so frustrated, I knelt down and scratched her neck and patted her back, and said sorry honey Tom is a dud, he was on the other side of the coop eating and when I patted her back he jerked his head up and walked over, I slowly backed up and stood there, he finally did his tap dance on her back and did the deed, (Me quietly chuckling) since then I have seen him with three of the other hens, so I feel better about him, guess I just needed to make him jealous...LOL

I was surprised when I went out and saw that she had laid eggs. I ended up bringing them in and putting them in the incubator because it has been really cold where I am at. My Bourbon Red hen has laid 9 so far. I am hoping that weather will cooperate and allow her to hatch a clutch out on her own. These are my first turkeys and I have had them for almost a year now but I have raised quail and have been raising chickens for about 5 years now and have never had a hen raise her own chicks. Looking forward to it.

Do you keep your chickens and turkeys together? I would like to keep mine together but when they were all free ranging in the yard one day the Tom started running down my chicken hens. He is much bigger then they are.

I was surprised when I went out and saw that she had laid eggs. I ended up bringing them in and putting them in the incubator because it has been really cold where I am at. My Bourbon Red hen has laid 9 so far. I am hoping that weather will cooperate and allow her to hatch a clutch out on her own. These are my first turkeys and I have had them for almost a year now but I have raised quail and have been raising chickens for about 5 years now and have never had a hen raise her own chicks. Looking forward to it.

I wish you a successful hatch...I will be incubating as well as soon as I have enough eggs

Back
Top Bottom