First turkeys this week.

mr.mc.

Songster
8 Years
Apr 25, 2011
Indiana
my very first bunch of turkeys are coming this week! Is this the first year for anyone els? and for you turkey veterans any and all advice is welcome!
jumpy.gif

well. They came yesterday, and they are b-reds and slates. all is was going well until one just randomly died! and It seemed to be the healthiest one of them all! I know that there are 100s causes for death for a chick so don't give me the obvious stuff that even nubies know. but if you have any good advice than please share.

I don't have any advice to give or suggestions about your turkeys other than what you've probably heard a hundred times before. Have you only lost one?

Oh my broady turkey hatch a cute and good looking chicks this morning. Please any advice to take a good care to the new born chicks.

I got my first six last Thursday, and I'm in love.

They were freaking me out because they were eating pine shavings out of the brooder. I had paper towels with crumbles on them, and stayed up with them the entire first night trying to coax them to eat. They were not so hip on the crumbles, but kept eating the shavings.

A friend who has raised turkeys told me ditch the shavings, because they would eat them and die. My brooder is too big to empty them all out, so I covered them with dish towels, and put crumbles down on top of the towels. Those naughty poults are still finding a shaving here or there, but they are eating more food now.

Good luck other turkey newbies!

Back
Top Bottom