First Vegetable Garden - Pic heavy

Discussion in 'Family Life - Stories, Pictures & Updates' started by OutInTheStiks, Jun 23, 2010.

1. OutInTheStiks

OutInTheStiks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 23, 2009
    Thorn Hill, TN
    My parents had a garden when I was growing up, but I had no desire to have one once I was out on my own. Fast forward a few years and things have changed. My partner and I decided to attempt a vegetable garden this year. I teach at a local high school so our reasoning was that I would be available during the summer to do the gardening. Here are a few pics from the garden. I also snuck in a few of the flowers around the house.\\

[​IMG]
    Greasy beans, okra, more greasy beans, corn and some random sunflowers for the chickens.

[​IMG]
    Turtle gourds, cushaws, pie pumpkins, jack-o-lantern pumpkins, canteloupes, watermelons and plumgrannies.

[​IMG]
    The garden from the lower side.

[​IMG]
    The upper row has cucumbers, zucchini, summer squash, eggplant, bell peppers, sweet banana peppers and tomatoes. We're thinking we will build raised beds for most of these next year.

[​IMG]
    Pumpkin bloom.

[​IMG]
    Foxgloves.

[​IMG]
    Hanging baskets with tuberous begonias and a planter with trailing geraniums.

[​IMG]
    Pink Asiastic lily.

2. CoopCrazy

CoopCrazy Brooder Boss

Mar 3, 2009
    Columbus,IN
    Awesome Garden .. I wish mine was doing that well this year...

3. Steve_of_sandspoultry

Steve_of_sandspoultry Overrun With Chickens

very nice!!!!!!!!!! Ours is weed city right now. lol

Steve

4. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    Mine too, Steve, MAJOR weed city! It was only last week I weeded it out and with all that rain we had, it sprung back ten fold!

If those grackles and starlings would quit eating my pole and bush green beans, I would have a decent crop of green beans but noooooooo, they took them all up to stubs. I am not sure if I can get anything or need to pull them all up and go to the farmer's market for those. The city birds are vicious!

5. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    To OP, goreous countryside!!!!!!

6. OutInTheStiks

Jun 23, 2009
    Thorn Hill, TN
    Quote:I would have to agree. The land that I live on has been in my family for well over 100 years. Sometimes I take the view for granted, but I try to step back and enjoy it from time to time.

7. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    Can you tell a bit about how your family acquired the land? Surely it had to be in the Civil War time that the farm was developed.

8. OutInTheStiks

Jun 23, 2009
    Thorn Hill, TN
    Quote:Thats a tall order, lol. There is 175 acres total to the farm. My Dad put together several pieces that had been split and combined land from his Mother's and Father's side. I'll focus on the 6 acres that I live on.

I bought the six acres I live on in 2000 from my great-aunt. The land passed to her after my great-uncle, Blake, died. Blake was a brother to my grandfather, my dad's dad. Blake inherited the six acres when his parents died in 1960. His father was James Parlin Harrell. James' wife Frances inherited the land from her parents in 1913. Frances' father, James McGinnis, inherited the land from his father Edward McGinnis who was given a land grant for 150 acres on February 20, 1846. I think that covers all the transitions.

That 150 acres is now divided into at least 9 different tracts that I can think of. One tract belongs to me and my partner, one tract belongs to me and my brother (4 acres) and the third ( 75+ acres) belongs to my mom and will pass down to my brother and myself. A fourth tract lies directly beside my house and I covet it everyday to prevent someone else from building on it.

9. Karrie13

Karrie13 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2009
    Minnesota
    That is a great garden and wonderful scenery!

I miss the mountains [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by