First venture into incubating!!!

Agreed131

In the Brooder
5 Years
Apr 26, 2014
Reno, NV
So I was given a Marsh TurnX. It has the turing rings but no automatic turner (so I will be the turning slave.) It was sitting fovever and who knows how much it has been used. I re-wicked the wet thermometer. It was crusty and nasty. So far it is heating up. Just trying to figure out where temp is with the lil dial.

As a first time hatcher how many eggs would you set? It has a max of 18. I have seen bullseyes in my eggs so I'm pretty sure at least some are fertile.

So I was given a Marsh TurnX. It has the turing rings but no automatic turner (so I will be the turning slave.) It was sitting fovever and who knows how much it has been used. I re-wicked the wet thermometer. It was crusty and nasty. So far it is heating up. Just trying to figure out where temp is with the lil dial.

As a first time hatcher how many eggs would you set? It has a max of 18. I have seen bullseyes in my eggs so I'm pretty sure at least some are fertile.
What you are comfortable with. You could put in 18 eggs and have 100% hatch rate and have 18 chicks to take care of. Or you could put in 18 eggs and end up with 3 hatchers. My first hatch I started with 2 dozen, ended up with 18 going into lockdown and ended up with 2 hatchers and one that survived. (Late hatch, bad thermometer, low temps.) Second hatch I had 32 eggs, but a couple hens apparently weren't getting the loving cause almost a dozen ended up as clears. Went into lockdown with 16 had 13 hatch.
If I was capable of handling a 100% hatch rate if it happened, (though it doesn't usually) I'd set 18. Then if you got at least 50% you'd have 9. Go with your gut.

What you are comfortable with. You could put in 18 eggs and have 100% hatch rate and have 18 chicks to take care of. Or you could put in 18 eggs and end up with 3 hatchers.  My first hatch I started with 2 dozen, ended up with 18 going into lockdown and ended up with 2 hatchers and one that survived. (Late hatch, bad thermometer, low temps.) Second hatch I had 32 eggs, but a couple hens apparently weren't getting the loving cause almost a dozen ended up as clears. Went into lockdown with 16 had 13 hatch.
If I was capable of handling a 100% hatch rate if it happened, (though it doesn't usually) I'd set 18. Then if you got at least 50% you'd have 9. Go with your gut.

I am ok with 18 fluffy butts hatching out since anything that crows will go to freezer camp. It will be an interesting barnyard mix if they hatch.

Well I jumped in head first. I set 18. I am not sure who laid what. I know some were from the Welsummers and 2 were from my Easter Egger. The rest will be surprises. Dad is either a black jersey giant or a splash polish. The rest of the flock includes barred rocks, partridge rocks, white jersey giants, a light brahma and a buff orphington. And since they all lay a light brown egg I have no clue who laid what. Oh well time will tell.

Well I jumped in head first. I set 18. I am not sure who laid what. I know some were from the Welsummers and 2 were from my Easter Egger. The rest will be surprises. Dad is either a black jersey giant or a splash polish. The rest of the flock includes barred rocks, partridge rocks, white jersey giants, a light brahma and a buff orphington. And since they all lay a light brown egg I have no clue who laid what. Oh well time will tell.
That's the fun part....not knowing....lol

What you are comfortable with. You could put in 18 eggs and have 100% hatch rate and have 18 chicks to take care of. Or you could put in 18 eggs and end up with 3 hatchers.  My first hatch I started with 2 dozen, ended up with 18 going into lockdown and ended up with 2 hatchers and one that survived. (Late hatch, bad thermometer, low temps.) Second hatch I had 32 eggs, but a couple hens apparently weren't getting the loving cause almost a dozen ended up as clears. Went into lockdown with 16 had 13 hatch.
the same exact thing happened to me a had a messed up thermometer and it messed everything up so I only had 2 chicks :-(

the same exact thing happened to me a had a messed up thermometer and it messed everything up so I only had 2 chicks :-(
It was a big dissapointment and at first I wasn't going to even try again, but I am glad I did. Now I use three thermometers...lol I plan to buy the egg o meter for my next hatch hopefully.

It was a big dissapointment and at first I wasn't going to even try again, but I am glad I did. Now I use three thermometers...lol I plan to buy the egg o meter for my next hatch hopefully.
Yeah I bought a thermometer that one of my uncles had for his chickens and it worked pretty good now I get plenty of baby chicks hahah I guess we learn from our mistakes: -)

Back
Top Bottom