First winter

J99

Songster
Jul 25, 2019
Kentucky
My Coop
My Coop
I live in Kentucky , My inside coop I just wrap three sides??? I have two windows in there do I wrap them both? And isn’t heated water bowls an electric hazard? I was planning on wrapping my entire enclosure but leaving a gap at the top then my outside run only wrapping the sides there isn’t a roof on that one it’s just wire , then not doing anything to my large run but inevitably the two runs will be covered in snow , then the inside coop will be bedding and straw
Is that ok? This in my first winter

So, a little more info is good-give a better description of coops and runs and where situated (exposed or behind another building), what has a roof, what doesn’t, is there a fence, etc. also include approx measurements.

In KY, most places don’t really experience a harsh winter, so you may not need to do much, but keeping them out of direct wind and keeping the coop dry. Always keep upper ventilation open where possible, so don’t seal venting in plastic. Windows - they would only need to be wrapped if that side gets blasted by cold wind creating a draft on roosting birds or rain enters them.

B89BB93B-E573-410D-AE7F-CF18E870B5E1.png C7707760-3AB3-4BB2-B8F0-C2D7A19BB4B3.jpeg 911941EA-A067-4AA2-93AF-4E39A430B182.jpeg Ok 280 to 300 square foot of a totally closed room like a wooden shed with two windows is my inside coop roof walls etc then about 350 square foot that’s just wood slats and chicken wire roof and all with a door on it
Then beyond that door a 550 square foot yard with chicken wire walls up to 7 feet no roof
I have 29 chickens four ducks and a rooster

Last edited:
If it were mine I would put a roof on the run. My coops are insulated with venting at the top. We wrap our run all around with thick clear plastic. The birds have a far sized fenced free range area so only stay in coop at night and in run if weather is really bad. We also have a covered ‘carport’ area as part of shed so that’s where everyone hangs in bad weather.

My husband doesn’t want a roof because he said snow will pile up there and weigh it down unless he builds it at a slanted roof and that’s a lot more wood and work but many others have free range or runs without a roof so what do they do???

My husband doesn’t want a roof because he said snow will pile up there and weigh it down unless he builds it at a slanted roof and that’s a lot more wood and work but many others have free range or runs without a roof so what do they do???

Without a roof the snow just falls in... nothing wrong with that.

Ok that’s what I thought but then when they go out their feet will be cold and wet and could get frost bite right?

Not necessarily... frostbite comes from some combo of cold + dampness + wind/draft, but just walking on snow or ice by itself shouldn't be enough to cause frostbite. 20 degrees is no issue for chickens. -37 could be a problem, so having a draft free and dry roosting area and/or outdoor areas that offer some relief from winds and weather is important.

Back
Top Bottom