Pics
I have a stock tank pond too! It doesn’t look the best due to the algae and fake plants I threw in, but the fish like it. I might try real plants once I figure out how to keep them alive out there.
View attachment 2526543The two goldfish (bought from the feeder tank several years ago) recently reproduced. Their fry are both gray so far.
I wanna put plants in mine! I haven’t yet. Idk what to put in it haha mine haven’t reproduced yet 😭 maybe this year. :fl and one of my goldfish was grey when I first got it too! I thought I accidentally got a bass at first. :lau :th but apparently that’s normal and he did eventually turn orange LOL

Yup, goldfish are born bland and then they color up. I love the phase where they're dark gray/black on top and orange underneath.
But I also like haaaaaateeee water changes and testing and all that stuff which is why I don’t have any anymore. Well, except for the goldfish outside but they’re easy. 😂 I might try River’s way though since it seems way easier! I did love my bettas. :love but I actually really want to try like a big 29 or something with a bunch of platies. :love I love platies. And I’d probably put other stuff in it too but idk what. But for now I’m happy not having a tank. I also had a problem with mine where I got all this weird webbing stuff all over the tank and plants? And then the plants started dying 😭
Platies are fun fish, and a tank full of them is always colorful and active.
What color was the webbing stuff? Did it look like hair?

I'd probably have this tank set up for a good while (at least a few weeks) to properly cycle (because I'm the kind of person to stress over it until it's perfect) and to make sure that plants are happy. I have both water wisteria and hornwort available!! What do you mean by 'melt'? I think that you buy these ones in a plastic tube and put them in the water?
Melt is they actually, literally melt. Cryptocorynes are famous for it. And yes, the ones in the plastic tube don't always melt, but it's a growing method that often results in it. Often the plants regrow, but it's awful to watch especially if you don't expect it. Messy, too. Better to start with the plants you have to buy in a bag of water.
That makes a LOT of sense. I realized that mollies are hard water fish, and I have soft water, so I'm removing those and increasing the number of cories and tetras (now 8 cories and 12 tetras). In this situation, I would add the cories, then the tetras, right? I was recommended a pair of honey gouramis as centerpiece fish, but I am having difficulty finding them.
Yes, I'd add the cories a couple at a time, and then I'd add the tetras in 3 groups of 4, a week apart.
If there's every anything you want and don't see, ask at the pet store. very often they can order them for you, and honey gouramis are popular and easy enough that they likely will if you ask them too.

I have spring water and it's a little too soft for my inverts, so I put a spoonful of oyster shell (the kind that I have for my chickens) sprinkled through the gravel and a pinch in my old-fashioned box filter. If you are still having trouble, dissolve a teaspoon of baking soda in a gallon of water and add that to the tank. Once, and then test after major water changes or every 3 months.

Stock tanks and goldfish are a long-standing tradition! I rescue tiny baby feeder goldfish when I see long-tailed ones and they hang inside in tanks until they are 2 inches at least, then they go out into stock tanks for the summer. Come early fall, any that are absolutely too big to winter in a tank get sold to people with decorative ponds.
I lose a few to predators and I actually cried when the 4yo fancy fantail (who spent winters in) died when a huge pine branch was blown into his tank by a storm, but usually it works out really well.

Back
Top Bottom