Pics
Fresh water, but I think its the same for salt water. The nitrifying bacteria consumes the KH until it goes to zero, unless we do frequent 10% water changes or add baking soda.
The nitrifying bacteria consume the ammonia, converting it to nitrite and nitrate ....not KH. dKH is degree of alkalinity or carbonate hardness, which is related to pH. During the process, acids are produced, lowing the pH. Adding baking soda (calcium bicarbonate) to the system, your increasing your dKH or pH.

Most waste water processing plants introduce acid to the system to facilitate the the bacteria that breakdown the wastes.

That's why it is recommended to do frequent water changes, especially during the cycling period of a closed loop system, ie; aquariums.

Most saltwater reef aquariums are set up on a dual lighting system, to help keep the pH stable. Durning night time conditions, (lights off) CO2 is produced, which lowers pH, under day time conditions (lights on) O2 is produced, allowing a more stable, less fluctuation in pH or dKH due to the functions of aerobic and anaerobic bacteria. Some also drip Kalkwasser or inject CO2 into the system to keep the dKH from fluctuating.
Some freshwater aquarist use this system too!

The nitrifying bacteria consume the ammonia, converting it to nitrite and nitrate ....not KH. dKH is degree of alkalinity or carbonate hardness, which is related to pH. During the process, acids are produced, lowing the pH. Adding baking soda (calcium bicarbonate) to the system, your increasing your dKH or pH.

Most waste water processing plants introduce acid to the system to facilitate the the bacteria that breakdown the wastes.

That's why it is recommended to do frequent water changes, especially during the cycling period of a closed loop system, ie; aquariums.

Most saltwater reef aquariums are set up on a dual lighting system, to help keep the pH stable. Durning night time conditions, (lights off) CO2 is produced, which lowers pH, under day time conditions (lights on) O2 is produced, allowing a more stable, less fluctuation in pH or dKH due to the functions of aerobic and anaerobic bacteria. Some also drip Kalkwasser or inject CO2 into the system to keep the dKH from fluctuating.
  • KH is consumed by nitrifying bacteria 24/7 so either your substrate generates more, you perform water changes to supplement it or you add chemicals to add KH to your aquarium as otherwise it causes a pH crash.
  • http://www.theaquariumwiki.com/wiki/KH
  • I already proven this in my experiment. When KH goes to zero, nitrification stops.

• KH is consumed by nitrifying bacteria 24/7 so either your substrate generates more, you perform water changes to supplement it or you add chemicals to add KH to your aquarium as otherwise it causes a pH crash.
  • http://www.theaquariumwiki.com/wiki/KH
  • I already proven this in my experiment. When KH goes to zero, nitrification stops.
That's not a very good choice of words but I guess you could say it is consuming the alkalinity hardness.
It doesn't literally 'consume' the KH, by producing CO2, the CO2 is using up, converting the available buffer, making the pH become more acidic. When the acidity reaches a certain level nitrification will stop.

Last edited:

That was all really interesting!

That’s a nice quail in your avatar. What color is that?
Thanks! I’m not sure what color though 😂🙈 I’ve been trying to figure that out! Been meaning to ask @muddy75 but haven’t yet. 😂 it came from the Myshire feather sexable variety. I think it might be some sort of pansy maybe? But I really don’t know. :oops:

Thanks! I’m not sure what color though 😂🙈 I’ve been trying to figure that out! Been meaning to ask @muddy75 but haven’t yet. 😂 it came from the Myshire feather sexable variety. I think it might be some sort of pansy maybe? But I really don’t know. :oops:
Pansy Fee, I think?

Back
Top Bottom