Also you mentioned not cleaning your decorates, maybe that had something to do with it because only recently..in the past couple of months I started rinsing them off more often and placing them out in the sun and rain for a few days, because they reeked of fish and some had algae I couldn't get off. I never did more than rinse them occasionally before that. I read somewhere that was the thing to do...putting them out in the sun certainly did get them clean though. :hmm
Since adding pothos to the top of my tanks I see less signs of higher nitrogen. So if possible adding some sort of plants may help cut down on the nitrates. We are in farm country too, and heavily filter our water.

Removing and cleaning one item at a time is okay, but not multiple items. You probably removed too much bacteria. Removing some bacteria by routine cleaning is okay, but too much can cause conditions to get off balance.

Here our water comes out of the tap more acidic, and than buffers up to alkaline after being in the tank for a while. Even the water guy couldn't tell me why it does that. Our water also gets more acidic during the winter months I suppose because the water table isn't being refilled and diluted like in the warmer months. All thing I didn't know before I started keeping fish.

I'm starting to consider my stocking options for when the betta passes. I've never been able to find exactly what I'm after. Well, let's be honest the size of the aquarium doesn't let me do much. It's a 6 point something gallon planted aquarium with a bunch of hiding spots created by the hardcase and all the plants. I think I want something different from a betta this time. Ideally, it should have some interesting behaviour. Say a cool mating tactic, something of that nature. My top contenders are a small group of endlers, CPDs, a pair of sparkling gourami, but I have no clue after that

I'm starting to consider my stocking options for when the betta passes. I've never been able to find exactly what I'm after. We'll, let's be honest the size of the aquarium doesn't let me do much. It's a 6 point something gallon planted aquarium with a bunch of hiding spots created by the hardcase and all the plants. I think I want something different from a betta this time. Ideally, it should have some interesting behaviour. Say a cool mating tactic, something of that nature. My top contenders are a small group of endlers, CPDs, a pair of sparkling gourami, but I have no clue after that
Awesome!!!

I'm starting to consider my stocking options for when the betta passes. I've never been able to find exactly what I'm after. Well, let's be honest the size of the aquarium doesn't let me do much. It's a 6 point something gallon planted aquarium with a bunch of hiding spots created by the hardcase and all the plants. I think I want something different from a betta this time. Ideally, it should have some interesting behaviour. Say a cool mating tactic, something of that nature. My top contenders are a small group of endlers, CPDs, a pair of sparkling gourami, but I have no clue after that

Endlers would work in that. I think it's too small for the others you mentioned. You could upgrade to a 20 gallon on Craig's list for cheap and really expand your options without having a huge tank. Otherwise research "nano" tanks for ideas. Shrimp do well in those setups.

Back
Top Bottom