Fishbiotics SMZ-TMP or Aqua SMZ-TMP

Being so close to the holidays, some people may not be checking in here as regularly, so may not answer. It's nothing personal. Hopefully I explained the math well enough that you can recheck my numbers for accuracy. I'm pretty sure I got it right this time. :)
If any part of my explanation isn't clear, let me know and I will try to clarify for you.
Yes, I do this all the time for pills and capsules that are not the correct dosage, and most of the time they are not. I buy the highest doses I can find and divide them into correct doses as it's usually more cost effective, and the bottle lasts longer. For example I usually get 500 mg amoxicillin rather than the 250 mg because it lasts twice as long. I have done amoxicillin, cephalexin, clindamycin, SMZ-TMP, metronidazole, etc all mixed in coconut oil. It works very well for me and allows me to make all the doses ahead of time for the length of the treatment period, which uncomplicates my life just a little. I have also, on occasion given much higher doses than you are giving and have had no issues. Most of the medications are tolerated well, sometimes the sulfa can upset digestion if the dose is too high, then I back off the dose some and give probiotics. I don't have access to a vet that will treat birds so I use Plumbs and other information I have gathered over the years from sources that I trust, including some here. From what I've seen, the people that have offered advice to you here are generally some of the best on this forum, so no worries there.
Since she has abdominal bloat, and the Lily of the Desert helped, then it sounds like ascites, which is a symptom of something else. She has some kind of reproductive problem, and it probably won't be cured. It's often not known for sure until they pass and a necropsy is done. The causes are various, but the bloat is most likely fluid from her liver leaking into the abdominal cavity. It could be infection, a cancer, internal laying, or organ failure which can accompany those. Treatments can buy them some time sometimes, but usually are not a cure. So the goal is to keep her comfortable as long as you can, rather than hope for a cure. Sadly, it's very common in laying hens over the age of 2. Even with the very best of veterinary care there are some things that just can't be treated successfully or cured. :hugs

@KClivlaughlove, can you tell me how much the hen weighed at the time these medications were prescribed?
20231204_132236-jpg.3701283

Sorry, I just seen this, let me grab her medical records quickly and I'll attach them.
Well, I reviewed the records and oddly they didn't record her weight. However from 1st record to second record, she weighed more as expressed by the vet due to how much larger her abdomen swelling was... See attached below.

Attachments

• clinicalSummary_AN156043_CN397239_S10751-print.PDF
    109.3 KB · Views: 2
  • clinicalSummary_AN156043_CN400078_S10751-print.PDF
    113.3 KB · Views: 2
  • clinicalSummarySprilla-print.PDF
    233.9 KB · Views: 2
  • invoice_527175-print.PDF
    49.2 KB · Views: 2
  • invoice_530734-print.PDF
    49.6 KB · Views: 2
Being so close to the holidays, some people may not be checking in here as regularly, so may not answer. It's nothing personal. Hopefully I explained the math well enough that you can recheck my numbers for accuracy. I'm pretty sure I got it right this time. :)
If any part of my explanation isn't clear, let me know and I will try to clarify for you.
Yes, I do this all the time for pills and capsules that are not the correct dosage, and most of the time they are not. I buy the highest doses I can find and divide them into correct doses as it's usually more cost effective, and the bottle lasts longer. For example I usually get 500 mg amoxicillin rather than the 250 mg because it lasts twice as long. I have done amoxicillin, cephalexin, clindamycin, SMZ-TMP, metronidazole, etc all mixed in coconut oil. It works very well for me and allows me to make all the doses ahead of time for the length of the treatment period, which uncomplicates my life just a little. I have also, on occasion given much higher doses than you are giving and have had no issues. Most of the medications are tolerated well, sometimes the sulfa can upset digestion if the dose is too high, then I back off the dose some and give probiotics. I don't have access to a vet that will treat birds so I use Plumbs and other information I have gathered over the years from sources that I trust, including some here. From what I've seen, the people that have offered advice to you here are generally some of the best on this forum, so no worries there.
Since she has abdominal bloat, and the Lily of the Desert helped, then it sounds like ascites, which is a symptom of something else. She has some kind of reproductive problem, and it probably won't be cured. It's often not known for sure until they pass and a necropsy is done. The causes are various, but the bloat is most likely fluid from her liver leaking into the abdominal cavity. It could be infection, a cancer, internal laying, or organ failure which can accompany those. Treatments can buy them some time sometimes, but usually are not a cure. So the goal is to keep her comfortable as long as you can, rather than hope for a cure. Sadly, it's very common in laying hens over the age of 2. Even with the very best of veterinary care there are some things that just can't be treated successfully or cured. :hugs
1st-I wish to say...Thank you (and to all others) whom have been so dedicated to helping see me and my gal through this...
Now, we (my hubby n I) are aware this is only palpative care and that a time will eventually come when the inevitable has to take place.
We already know that she has EYP (as per from what the vet has explained to us) along with the results of the testings that she (the vet) performed. She told us that she withdrew the fluid from her abdomen and how much she withdrew as well as that it did contain little pieces of egg yolk. The other test as per explained by the vet was to see which antibiotic would best suit the type of bacterial infection Spirilla (our hen) has (I've attached her records)...As per what was explained to us, this is not curable...and Sprilla will have to likely remain on these (unless at some point it becomes resistant, then may have to be changed to a different medication) for the remainder of her life. The vet offered us three options...
1-euthanasia
2-any 1 or all 3 of 3 total surgeries to which there are no guarantees
3-palpative care which entails these three medications that she had prescribed and are attached in previous pictures.
As for why we can no longer continue to take her to the vet every two weeks is because it's $200 per visit a 2 and 1/2 hour drive one way to take her in to have these follow-up checks and unfortunately my husband and I simply cannot afford it therefore I began looking at alternative medications all in things too BYC and the many many comments suggestions advice and threads of similar situations (as well as the confirmation from the Valley Vet pharmacy which is an online product ordering website) I was able to understand that fishbiotics or aqua SMZ-TMP is indeed the same medication ”antibiotic” spirilla was currently taking. The big issue came in due to the fact I cannot mathematically calculate the proper dosage she should be taking to either equal to what the vet was prescribing her or the actual dosage in which she should be on currently. once that was able to be configured I then have the full regimen of the same medications that spirilla was prescribed by the veterinarian that I am able to continue care with at home without happening to continue visits at the vet so long as she continues to still be able to walk eat drink dust off do the normal things in which she does. My husband and I see absolutely no reason why she should need to be euthanized while she is still in such good great state. Many stories in many threads on this BYC have I learned were successfully able to live on another year and a half two years with this same condition. So that is what my husband and I are attempting to do is to give her the best of the rest of what life she has in trying to do what is best for her along the way and keeping her healthy and happy. When the time does come along in which she is no longer able to remain capable of doing her normal chicken things and/or shows signs of being in pain and unable to eat drink and so on then we both understand and I say it again we both understand that is the time in which there will be no other option but the right thing and that is to put her down at that time not now but at that time. Sorry now, I don't know which order they go in.
Again thank you so so so much for all your help all your research and all your time. And I'm so very sorry that I caused you a night of complete sleeplessness.

Attachments

• invoice_530734-print.PDF
    49.6 KB · Views: 1
  • invoice_527175-print.PDF
    49.2 KB · Views: 0
  • clinicalSummarySprilla-print.PDF
    233.9 KB · Views: 1
  • clinicalSummary_AN156043_CN400078_S10751-print.PDF
    113.3 KB · Views: 1
  • clinicalSummary_AN156043_CN397239_S10751-print.PDF
    109.3 KB · Views: 0
How's her bloating?
Well because she's been without her antibiotic now for quite some time she's starting to get quite big. The Lily of the Desert works so amazingly the first couple of days but doesn't seem to be doing much now.
Would you like me to weigh her?

Well because she's been without her antibiotic now for quite some time she's starting to get quite big. The Lily of the Desert works so amazingly the first couple of days but doesn't seem to be doing much now.
Would you like me to weigh her?
She's always been my one that takes forever to come down with something but does catch everything eventually laughing out loud but the opposite side of that is she also is my one that takes forever to come out of something but always does. Never on her own always with some kind of treatment that I've either found on BYC or other similar such places are fantastic support.

1702856765394.png

I think that is this:
1702856814450.png

Which means:
40 mg sulfamethoxazole per ml
8 mg trimethoprim per ml.

If she was getting 1.3 ml of the 240/5 stuff, she was getting:
1.3 x 40 = 52 mg sulfamethoxazole
1.3 x 8 = 10.4 mg trimethoprim

If you take 1 of these and mix it with 20 ml of a suspension syrup, you will have the exact same thing that the vet sells you.
1702857324583.png

https://www.amazon.com/Ora-Blend-Fl...sc=1&msclkid=b195c582c7851e652e91a0fd4c0cf6ba
1702857700827.png

https://www.amazon.com/LEETOYI-Porc...605-8aef-d020a7c62b5e&pd_rd_i=B08GKD19WX&th=1
1702857783778.png

Back
Top Bottom