Five Buff Orpington's

FowlMotel

In the Brooder
Dec 20, 2020
Just acquired five adult Buff Orpington hens.

They're pretty resilient - they seem unfazed by a dog that barks now and then, me running a power drill and saw nearby, or different family members coming and going.

Am I correct that it's important to provide raised areas so their feet aren't in moisture all the time?

Do they need a high roost or just prefer one?

Should they each have a wood chip padded compartment or only if they're going to be sitting on eggs?

No rooster so no sitting for now ...

Attachments

• 5hens1.jpg
    5hens1.jpg
    134 KB · Views: 13
Welcome to BYC, and congratulations on your new flock. They should have access to a dry area, and their coop should be dry with bedding. Chickens generally prefer to roost at as high a place as is possible. 2 or at most 3 nest boxes should be more than enough - they all will most likely want to use the same one.

Hello and welcome to BYC! :frow Glad you joined.
BOs are pretty large gals. I would keep their roost height to around 2 feet. Bed down the coop for a soft landing.
You don't need a rooster for one of them to go broody and try to hatch their infertile eggs. BOs are notorious for going broody. You will need equipment to break them or give them fertile eggs to hatch if you have room in your coop to add chicks. You'd also need a plan for any cockerels that hatched.

Back
Top Bottom