Five-month old Australorp suddenly lame. Update: Now another pullet going lame!

Pics
June continues to be symptom free. But May is curling and dragging her right foot, definitely regressing. I had started her on acyclovir yesterday, and today I started her on the Tylan for a round to see it it has an effect on this regression of symptoms.

Whoa, hadn't been getting notifications on this thread, and there's so much to take in from this week!

1st, congratulations, May, on YOUR FIRST EGG! @azygous has done an amazing job for that milestone to be reached. I'm honestly welling up. And May is no doubt as thrilled as her human fans.

2nd, Sorry to hear you're going through this with June, though it sounds like her immune system is righting itself. Was going to remind you to try acyclovir, since you did that with May, and well, May just laid her first egg!

3rd, @Awakening Forest Thank you so much for weighing in, and same to @aart ! If you recall, were your dogs always able to wag their tails, and did their bark sound squeaky while they were affected?

Either way, this shows how demyelinating conditions are much more common in dogs than we know, probably due to misdiagnosis. Why shouldn't it be the same with poultry?

I keep going back to the idea that May's Syndrome could be a pathogen in the soil triggering something genetic with the affected individuals. Other dogs in our area played in the same woods with zero problems, while Clover fell hard. Of course, as a previously starved dog with a survivor mentality, she also drank from muddy puddles, hunted critters, and scavenged dead stuff, so she had the most exposure to every crazy bacteria on the planet.

Some dog breeds, like boxers, are said to be more susceptible to coonhound paralysis, which would point to something genetic. Additionally, I believe the human version of coonhound paralysis, Guillain-Barre syndrome, is thought to be brought on by a combination of triggers, both viral and bacterial. Link to Mayo's overview of Guillain-Barre for kicks:
https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/guillain-barre-syndrome/symptoms-causes/syc-20362793
Tsaheylu could move her tail if I remember correctly. It was how the vet knew she had feeling. She would pull it away when he pinched her. Same with her toes. She had feeling but wasn’t using it. She wouldn’t thump it on the ground, for instance. it was in response to a stimulus. I can’t remember her barking.

Tsaheylu could move her tail if I remember correctly. It was how the vet knew she had feeling. She would pull it away when he pinched her. Same with her toes. She had feeling but wasn’t using it. She wouldn’t thump it on the ground, for instance. it was in response to a stimulus. I can’t remember her barking.
What's wild about coonhound paralysis is the dog's ability to still wag their tail, maintain control over bodily functions, and be able to feel with their limbs despite not being able to move them. To my knowledge, generally with spinal injuries, they become incontinent and can't wag.

What's wild about coonhound paralysis is the dog's ability to still wag their tail, maintain control over bodily functions, and be able to feel with their limbs despite not being able to move them. To my knowledge, generally with spinal injuries, they become incontinent and can't wag.
Tsaheylu with friend.

AF9C5AA5-9099-4A05-B2B7-8DF166553F29.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom