Five nesting boxes, only using one, multiple chickens in box at the same time

Know the feeling I brought 4 boxes 2 in each coop ( 2 coops.13 chickens) so they had extra nesting space as well as the big shelves I got in each coop so they started to lay in between boxes rather then I them all that hard work lol chickens are funny even better wen got home from work that day they had all layer in the spot between nest boxes in 1 coop there's 2 coops lol

Attachments

• 20220809_094558.jpg
    20220809_094558.jpg
    616.9 KB · Views: 8
  • 20220809_101819.jpg
    20220809_101819.jpg
    599.1 KB · Views: 8
  • 20220809_111558.jpg
    20220809_111558.jpg
    714.8 KB · Views: 9
  • 20220809_185910.jpg
    20220809_185910.jpg
    444.3 KB · Views: 9
It's certainly not unusual for birds to all want to cram into 1 or 2 boxes but not all flocks work that way. Seems to be either 1) yes we will share and we all want 1 box or 2) no we don't share and we never will. My flock happens to fall under #2, they absolutely will not share, but both are "normal."

In 9 years I have only once or twice seen more than one hen in a nest.
Put the same bedding in each nest, and a fake egg in each nest.
Might block the favorite nest, just to jangle their mindset....
... then wait, it could take several day to weeks for them to change their habits.

Remove the dividers from your nest boxes and let them have all of the room. They will still crowd together some, but they will not get as hot, and eggs will have a better chance of not getting broken. You can still scatter some fake eggs in other parts of the bigger nest box to encourage them to spread out.]

I've often wondered what the hens conversations were...why one day each lays in a different box & why the next day there are 3 hens crammed in one box while the other 2 boxes are empty. There are wood chips & fake eggs in each box, they're identical in appearance, size & design. Go figure! 🤔

I also have a few roosters that enjoy relaxing inside nestboxes. One goes in & cluck & sings then sits down preening for 15 minutes. Too funny! 😁

(Nest boxes)
20200830_193548.jpg 20200831_175540.jpg

Last edited:
I've often wondered what the hens conversations were...why one day each lays in a different box & why the next day there are 3 hens crammed in one box while the other 2 boxes are empty. There are wood chips & fake eggs in each box, they're identical in appearance, size & design. Go figure! 🤔
They had a falling out at last nite henparty. Then they kissed and made up today

Thats just the way things are. Chickens almost always favor one or a few boxes over the rest, even if they are all the same. You could try putting golf balls or other kinds of fake eggs in the less-used boxes to make them more attractive.
I have started leaving the eggs in the nest until the end of day. I think when my 5 hens see an egg already in the nest they are more likely to use that nest rather than hemming and hawing over which nest to use. I have 5 hens and 4 nesting boxes. All eggs were in one nest yesterday. The fake egg/ping pong ball trick would be my next go to if i had any issues. Also, chickens have behaviors that we some times dont understand! I had a hen decide she was going to stop roosting and sleep in the nesting box. Eventually she got back to roost, but i sure was curious why she did that. Well, i kind of know that obnoxious Rosie would pace the single 6 ft roost bar every night and push anyone off that jumped up! Biggie would get pushed off once and must decide, to hell with the roost. Nests are comfy. I didnt see the problem other than a single dropping left in the nest. Shes roosting again now tho. Good luck! I pick my chicken battles wisely these days! I remember when noone wanted to roost and i would go outside every single night and place them up there. One night they all figured it out. 🤷‍♀️ Happy, Healthy, hens for the win!! 🐓❤️

Back
Top Bottom