Five-toed puzzler

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by brownysfp, Nov 21, 2011.

1. brownysfp

brownysfp Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 1, 2010
    Correze, France
    We bought five Dark Faverolle chicks: four female, one male. One female subsequently died and one other turned out be male. OK, two cocks, two hens.
    Now they've matured we have one Dark that is a dead-ringer for the bird pictured on the BYC breeds page - except his comb hasn't grown. He may be a late developer. Of the hens, one is Dark and one is Clear. The other rooster has Clear markings but has no beard or muff, he does have five toes. His comb has grown and he crows strongly. He's taken to sitting in a nest-box thus not doing what he should be doing and also deterring the hens.
    Any ideas? Apart from going to see the supplier...who has never advertised since.

2. jeslewmazer

jeslewmazer Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 24, 2009
    Mississippi
    could you post pictures? [​IMG]

3. farmerChef

farmerChef Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 18, 2010
    Southern Georgia
    My Coop
  4. Pele

Pele Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2011
    Boise
    I believe the OP is referring to a Salmon Faverolle roo (which indeed are dark colored on a lot of the body), and a White Faverolle, which can be found in France more easily than in the US (so sad [​IMG] ).

From what I understand, these birds can be a bit slow to mature as they were originally deveoped to be dual-purpose. So if the question is whether or not your bird is male, then posting a picture here for us to look at will give you a definitive vote. I suspect from your description that he is, and he's just a slow grower, but pictures will ensure you get a clear answer.

5. brownysfp

brownysfp Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 1, 2010
    Correze, France
    Sorry, I'll try and get some pictures posted. However I think I have the solution if you'd like to click on the link:
    http://volaillepoultry.pagesperso-orange.fr/franc2.html
    As you can imagine, I'm chuffed to have both Clear and Dark Faverolles. Time to get hold of the Houdan-Faverolles Club de France; we have mottled Houdans too.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by