five toes??

earnhardtlvr

Songster
8 Years
Mar 25, 2011
Hagerstown, MD
I'm a newbie to raising chickens so this is prob a dumb ?, but here goes: Silkies have 5 toes right? Well I am assuming that other breeds can have more than they r supposed to also?? I have what we think is a light brahma and I noticed today that it has 5 toes...so I guess it's just wishful thinking to hope that we were completely wrong and I someone got a silkie??

Ok, here is a pic of the baby we thought was a light brahma...she and her sister have the same coloring, 5 toes on each foot...any ideas? She was born April 4th.

83907_imag0023.jpg

Last edited:
All Silkies Have BLACK SKIN AND The Five Toes Along With Favrolles, Dorkings, And I Think Top Hats LIKE HOUDANS AND SULTANS.

Last edited:
I will take a pic of my baby with 5 toes and post it when I go out to take care of them. Please check back later to look at the pic and help me figure this out!
idunno.gif

I have a mystery chick with 5 toes that no one on here can even identify.
lau.gif

DSCN0440.jpg

She is much bigger now I have to get updated pics. I named her Mocha because of her beautiful chocolate and caramel coloring which is now turning gray in the wings.

Hi, I looked up about five toed chickens too and I came across this. Im also confused as we bought 3 pullets a few weeks ago and just today I noticed they had 5 toes! They are none of the breeds stated below so I was wondering is it a deformity on other breeds? And does it effect them in any way?

Thanks.

I have a mystery chick with 5 toes that no one on here can even identify.  /img/smilies/lau.gif 

DSCN0440.jpg

She is much bigger now I have to get updated pics.  I named her Mocha because of her beautiful chocolate and caramel coloring which is now turning gray in the wings.

This chicky looks alot like a red Dorking :)
Nikki

Last edited:
And yes, it is possible for breeds that aren't supposed to have extra toes to have them pop up occasionally. It usually means that the bird had a five toed ancestor at some point.
Nikki

Back
Top Bottom