five toes??

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by earnhardtlvr, Apr 14, 2011.

1. earnhardtlvr

earnhardtlvr Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2011
    Hagerstown, MD
    I'm a newbie to raising chickens so this is prob a dumb ?, but here goes: Silkies have 5 toes right? Well I am assuming that other breeds can have more than they r supposed to also?? I have what we think is a light brahma and I noticed today that it has 5 toes...so I guess it's just wishful thinking to hope that we were completely wrong and I someone got a silkie??

Ok, here is a pic of the baby we thought was a light brahma...she and her sister have the same coloring, 5 toes on each foot...any ideas? She was born April 4th.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 14, 2011
  2. paramedic07

paramedic07 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2011
    Bergman, AR
    All Silkies Have BLACK SKIN AND The Five Toes Along With Favrolles, Dorkings, And I Think Top Hats LIKE HOUDANS AND SULTANS.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2011
  3. Sorin

Sorin Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2010
    Glenfield, ny
    The easiest way to tell if its a silkie is if it has black skin on the body and legs [​IMG]

4. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Quote:Houdans and Sultans [​IMG] Those are the "top hat" breeds w/ five toes.

5. earnhardtlvr

earnhardtlvr Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2011
    Hagerstown, MD
    I will take a pic of my baby with 5 toes and post it when I go out to take care of them. Please check back later to look at the pic and help me figure this out! [​IMG]

6. paramedic07

paramedic07 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2011
    Bergman, AR
    Quote:Houdans and Sultans [​IMG] Those are the "top hat" breeds w/ five toes.

thankya. i was drawing a blank on that.

7. Emmalion

Emmalion Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2011
    Western Massachusetts
    I have a mystery chick with 5 toes that no one on here can even identify. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

She is much bigger now I have to get updated pics. I named her Mocha because of her beautiful chocolate and caramel coloring which is now turning gray in the wings.

8. FrickenChickenz

FrickenChickenz New Egg

Feb 10, 2013
    Hi, I looked up about five toed chickens too and I came across this. Im also confused as we bought 3 pullets a few weeks ago and just today I noticed they had 5 toes! They are none of the breeds stated below so I was wondering is it a deformity on other breeds? And does it effect them in any way?

Thanks.

9. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    This chicky looks alot like a red Dorking :)
    Nikki

Last edited: Feb 11, 2013
  10. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    And yes, it is possible for breeds that aren't supposed to have extra toes to have them pop up occasionally. It usually means that the bird had a five toed ancestor at some point.
    Nikki

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by