1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Flap up or down?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Dooner, Sep 19, 2011.

1. Dooner

Dooner Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2011
    Trivial question of the day. I want to add a flap/door to the vent on the back side of the coop on the outside to prepare for the winter. There is one more upper vent that is basically a cold air return on the top of the side wall that you Can barely see on the vright side of the picture. I am a bit concerned to close the back vent off, but also am concerned to leave it open. If I hinge on the bottom, it will be always open or closed. If I hinge on top, i will need a hook to keep it open, but I could add a chain to keep it partially open. What do you think? There is mesh on the inside.[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 19, 2011
  2. ll

ll Chillin' With My Peeps

top [​IMG] so it can be hooked up

3. Dooner

Dooner Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2011
    Quote:Thanks, I think I agree. It is funny how when you ask a question, the answer kind of comes to you. I checked out your page. I showed my DGD 4yo your pics. I also copied the poster, I think it is great! Thanks

4. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

I've done something like that, hinged on the top. I didn't use a hook. It sounds a bit tacky perhaps, but I just used a dowel to prop it open - this allows me to close, open a little, open a lot...depending on where I place the dowel.

5. ll

ll Chillin' With My Peeps

you're welcome [​IMG] good luck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by