Flat Sided Egg....??

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by DoubleTake, May 11, 2010.

1. DoubleTake

DoubleTake Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2009
    Idaho
    This is the first time I have ever seen a pinched edged flat egg!! Anyone know why??
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. feathersnuggles

feathersnuggles Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 4, 2009
    Seattle
  3. sheeshshe

sheeshshe Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2009
    Someone also said once in the emergency forum that an egg bound hen can lay flat ones if an egg passes by one that is bound... but other than that I have no clue!

4. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    A few starters would do that, its normal.

5. egg-cellent

egg-cellent Chillin' With My Peeps

Awesome link by feathersnuggles.. A perfect example. It looks so much like the one DoubleTake is asking about.

6. FeatherPainter

FeatherPainter Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2011
    Northern New York
    Cool!!!

7. chookkeeper

chookkeeper New Egg

Last night we had a thunderstorm with lightening and this morning a hen that has been laying for three months laid a soft shelled egg in the run and later a flat sided egg in the nesting box.It was almost identical to yours and I think it was a soft shelled egg just hardening as it came out as it was flat on the bottom. It was also a much paler colour. I tend to think the storm may have upset her laying routine.

8. sarajean

sarajean New Egg

Dec 8, 2014
    My hen lays eggs all the time with dents, ripples or "stretch marks" as I like to call them but this week they've been flat on the sides. Nothing has changed,still look the same when I Crack them so I guess I won't worry. [​IMG][/IMG]

9. sarajean

sarajean New Egg

Dec 8, 2014
    [​IMG]

10. lazy gardener

lazy gardener True BYC Addict

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    The eggs are passing through the shell gland very close together so that they are in contact with each other.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by