Fleas

RebelsHope

Songster
12 Years
Jul 27, 2007
wisconsin
I didn't know where I should post this. But I have a terrible problem with fleas this year. My dogs just can't get rid of them. I treated them and well this is a chicken post so I'll get to the point.
1) Will the fleas get on my chickens?
2) Is it alright to use the flea products for the lawn on my lawn, or will it poison the insects for my chickens? I mean I am sure it will, but does it work on all insects or will it effect the insects that my chickens eat
3) Do chickens eat fleas?
4) If they do , how I can I get them to eat more?
wink.png

I wouldn't use it. Do your chickens free range? What products have you used on your dogs and have you tried giving them garlic? Garlic is a natural way of getting rid of fleas. Let us know. Good luck.

I have used biospot, which isn't good I know, but i tried it anyway. Front Line Plus. I don't use advantage because I have cats and their is some danger if the cats were to rub up against the dogs.

Garlic is sort of controversial now. Too much can cause problems in dogs, and I have smalls dogs. There is some added to their food and I add ASC to their water. We just live in a bad flea area. I have lived in some areas that I just never had problems with fleas, this yard as tons. I have sprayed the house, and we don't have too many carpets.

I don't like to use too many chemicals but I am getting desperate.

I do free range that is why it all of a sudden I just thought about what the effects it would have the chickens.

How about seven dust the yard? It shouldn't harm the chickens or the dogs. You'd have to repeat it about once a week until you see results but it could work. Unless the fleas in your area have built up a tolerance to seven dust. But it's worth a try...

I would avoid pesticides as anything like that will cause some sort of damage. Even general pesticides kill off benificials and you might begin to wonder why you aren't getting as many tomatoes or fruits the next year. But when it comes down to it, you don't really have a choice. I hear guineas are great for controlling ticks, how bout fleas? Does anyone know that?

I would be careful about the 7 dust. Since it's an insecticide, you may be looking at some compromised eggs. I've heard from some people in the local area silkiechicken that their guineas eat anything in sight including fleas. Seems this year is especially hard hit with them. I've never, and I mean I have never had fleas, and this year all my animals have them. I feel so grose and nasty. I've always used the Frontline Plus because we camp and I don't want the ticks. Seriously thinking of having Ideal throw in some keets on this order that is being shipped on the 5th. Just need to figure where to house them.

I should be getting 30 keets tomorrow from Meyer...

How about sprinkling the yard with the "all hallowed" DE? Would that kill a flea?

DE will kill fleas...basically every type of pest.

Fleas

* Animal Application: Apply Perma-Guard Household Insecticide liberally to all parts of animal, close to skin.
* Rugs: Make a thin coating on the rug. Rake (not sweep) nap back and forth, causing dust to enter the rug. Leave overnight. When cleaning, do not make a special effort to remove the dust in the rug. It will kill live fleas, repel others, and will deodorize the carpet.
<------FROM HERE

Quote:
CapStar (can also be ordered through 1800PETMEDS) is great for killing fleas immediately. It will help you get your animal infestation under control but then you have to work on getting the house and the yard treated.

CapStar can also be given daily if you are still having a problem getting the fleas off of the pets.

1) CapStar to kill fleas NOW.
2) Wash animal in flea shampoo.
3) Treat with Advantage or Front Line for longer term control.

I would try DE in the yard and if the animals are in the house then try boric acid.

It is a total pain and can take awhile to kill all of the fleas and their eggs.

Take care,

Tami

Back
Top Bottom