Flies!!!!!

The flies in my coop and run are becoming unbearable. Even after cleaning it out and laying fresh pine shavings. I read a post from someone who used permethin spray to get rid of mites and it also killed the flies. I found and bought this yesterday, but now I don't know if it's safe to use. If I spray the ground and wait for it to dry before letting them out, will it harm them if they eat something that has been sprayed? Thanks.
View attachment 1908508
I would love to share something I learned a few yrs ag from the man who built our chicken coop and raises chickens himself. Washed Plaster and comes in 50 lb bags at any Home Depot or Lowes etc. about 3 bucks a bag but it HAS to be ONLY washed Plaster sand as any other is not good for your chickens to breath the sand dust . Spread t in the coop on the floor so you have at least a couple inches of death or more is even better for dust thing . The poop suspends on the sand making it easy to rake up every day or two and just toss n the garden or compost pile . you will completely eliminate the odor the coop will be MUCH cleaner and NO flies!! Give it a shot !

@Rietta
I like the chainlink in your pic. Is your coop an old dog kennel, or is it custom built with all chainlink. I'm about to build a new one with chainlink. Woo Hoo! :wee
you will have mic and rats able to get into the coop and the girls feeder and water 1/2 gage hard cloth its much better to keep out critters and predators

I would love to share something I learned a few yrs ag from the man who built our chicken coop and raises chickens himself. Washed Plaster and comes in 50 lb bags at any Home Depot or Lowes etc. about 3 bucks a bag but it HAS to be ONLY washed Plaster sand as any other is not good for your chickens to breath the sand dust . Spread t in the coop on the floor so you have at least a couple inches of death or more is even better for dust thing . The poop suspends on the sand making it easy to rake up every day or two and just toss n the garden or compost pile . you will completely eliminate the odor the coop will be MUCH cleaner and NO flies!! Give it a shot !

I really like this idea and will keep it in mind when I get my new coop and run done. Right now I have about a 20x20 uncovered fenced run, so not sure how that would be with the rain. But thanks for the idea for when I get the covered run done.

you will have mic and rats able to get into the coop and the girls feeder and water 1/2 gage hard cloth its much better to keep out critters and predators
I don't have any feeders out anymore, I throw about 5 gal of pellets out about 2 hours before dark and 100 birds won't leave a single pellet on the ground for a mouse to eat. I also have a creek running thru the back yard so all critters have water whether I put water out or not. I mainly try to protect them from coons, possums, foxes, bobcats, but mostly from the neighbors dog. It killed a bunch of my birds earlier this year and they said they would fix their fence. When it came thru my yard last week, and the chickens took to the trees, I drove down to their house only to find that they have completely removed the wooden fence that kept this bird killer in. I left a note explaining what was honing to happen if I caught it near my chickens again. The sheriff already said to use the 3 S's because it's killing livestock, he even told them. Only thing I can think of is they don't want that dog around anymore. :confused:

My chain link is not on the coop, it is on the run.. the coop is a solid 10x14 shed conversion with a 6x8 feed room. There is no access into the coop for anything as we used hardware cloth on it. The run is only accessible during the day and I have had no predator problems in 3 years (occasional snake has come through and snagged eggs during the day). Coyotes run the area close, but everyone is inside and secure at night with two step locking on doors. Coons can open some things, they have thumbs

My chain link is not on the coop, it is on the run.. the coop is a solid 10x14 shed conversion with a 6x8 feed room. There is no access into the coop for anything as we used hardware cloth on it. The run is only accessible during the day and I have had no predator problems in 3 years (occasional snake has come through and snagged eggs during the day). Coyotes run the area close, but everyone is inside and secure at night with two step locking on doors. Coons can open some things, they have thumbs
About a month ago I thought half my birds were sleeping in the coop, but the other night I went out only to find that all my birds were sleeping in the trees, and on the roofs except for about 10 out of 100. Birds are crazy! :gig

Back
Top Bottom