Flies!!!!!

Another way to help control them is to make traps. Cut the top off a plastic soda bottle so that it fits down in a mason jar. Put a piece of tape around it to hold the inverted bottle neck to the jar. Just like with a minnows trap, flys go in the big bottle hole but can't find their way out the little hole. Drop in a small piece of raw meat, honey, or even poo if that's what the flys are attracted to. Once it fills up, you can dump it out for the birds to eat.

While that sounds like a good idea, I'm trying to kill them not attract them.

Another way to help control them is to make traps. Cut the top off a plastic soda bottle so that it fits down in a mason jar. Put a piece of tape around it to hold the inverted bottle neck to the jar. Just like with a minnows trap, flys go in the big bottle hole but can't find their way out the little hole. Drop in a small piece of raw meat, honey, or even poo if that's what the flys are attracted to. Once it fills up, you can dump it out for the birds to eat.
Is there anyway you can post a picture of what you are talking about? I just can’t picture it in my head, but sounds like a good idea.

Is there anyway you can post a picture of what you are talking about? I just can’t picture it in my head, but sounds like a good idea.
I don't have a pic but you don't need the mason jar really. Just take a plastic pop bottle of any size, cut it in half just above the middle point. Turn the top half upside down and shove it in the bottom. Give me a little while and I'll make a diagram.

I don't have a pic but you don't need the mason jar really. Just take a plastic pop bottle of any size, cut it in half just above the middle point. Turn the top half upside down and shove it in the bottom. Give me a little while and I'll make a diagram.
I want stuff for outside, I don’t have flies in the coop or the run because I sewed window screening to the outside of all the hardware cloth, but I have flies outside and I don’t use poison in my backyard because I organic garden.

Here you go, I just made a quick one.
20190915_113842.jpg

20190915_113907.jpg

If you use them outside, just put a few rocks in before closing it up so wind doesn't knock it over. It's also good for wasps if you put anything with blood in there (chicken liver, hamburger) but I wouldn't use sweet stuff, it can catch your honey bees.
I think I’ll drill holes on each side and hang them that way the top won’t come off.

:sick I was all about it until that last part....

Back
Top Bottom