1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

flies!!!!!

Discussion in 'Quail' started by the Pollo Loco, Oct 31, 2011.

1. the Pollo Loco

the Pollo Loco Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2009
    Santa Cruz,CA
    I clean the poop as often as I can, however I am still getting plent of flies!!!! how does everyone deal with keeping them to a minimum?

2. Tanichca

Tanichca Sparkle Magnet

May 6, 2009
    Vail, Arizona
    [​IMG] I guess animals= flies. Try hanging flypaper in places where your pets can't reach.

3. DancingHen

DancingHen Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2011
    Central Oregon Coast
    I have heard the fly trap bags work really well. I haven't tried it yet myself. I plan to try them next year. I had flies over the summer but they are pretty much gone now that the fall rainy season is here.

4. The Critter Place

The Critter Place Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2011
    Tucson, Az.
    Fly traps do work, but they do stink too!

5. the Pollo Loco

the Pollo Loco Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2009
    Santa Cruz,CA
    yeah, I'v done the flybag, it does stink and seemed to attract more flies...

6. quailmale

quailmale Chillin' With My Peeps

Use Golden Maldrin, put some in a cup/lid around area, if pen is above ground sprinkle/scatter some on poo pile, last for 4 to 5 days. Works great for me. Don't know why its called Golden because the kernals are blue. you will see dead flies laying around after a couple hours. [​IMG]

7. chickee

chickee Chillin' With My Peeps

I feed my chickens food grade diatomaceous Earth mixed into their feed (buy it at the feed store) and it makes their droppings unappealing to flies. I also sprinkle it in the chicken house to kill spiders and other bugs. It does kill lice and mites, but I don't have that problem. Flies are SO bad this time of year! [​IMG] Good luck!

8. Eyeheartquail

Eyeheartquail Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2011
    I have found that I can keep the smell down and flies away as long as their feces doesn't come in contact with extra moisture. Are their any leaks in your roof or is there any way for rain to get in? Does rain get under your coop where the feces is? Do they spill their drinking water over their feces? I use the DE too, it helps in drying out the feces especially in high humidity. I built poop/pee trays below my raised coop so that when our Pacific Northwest flooding hits I won't have to worry about feces on the ground and it wont become unsanitary and rank smelling. I just clean the trays off into my compost every few days which is away from my house. Good luck, I hope this helps.

9. Mek

Mek Chillin' With My Peeps

Give the children an elastic band and a ruler and tell them to have fun.

10. Jimsbirdhouse

Jimsbirdhouse Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 25, 2010
    Gonzales, Texas
    Hang some vanilla car air freshner up , This will last for about a week. Flies do not like that smell

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by