New Arrivals (Few toe injury pics for those squeamish)

Picked up the 2nd hand incubator today and boy am I impressed! It has two tiers and a little car battery hookup that I'll need to source a battery for. I think those marine deep cycle ones would be the best yeah? I have all the rollers lined up for the first bay. Tonight I'm going to put the govee and inkbird in and start playing around to see how accurate the settings are.

The owner of the incubator said she never bothered adding water until lockdown so that was interesting to find out. She's not the only one to say that too me as well since I bought some eggs once from a bloke and he also did it dry. I've been collecting so many eggs so it's going to be nice to finally start pumping out some bubbas.

I'm finding out in perth that there's a severe shortage of quail and chicks get snapped up. For some stupid reason I thought you could get darth vader japanese quail. But I don't think that's a thing with them so I'm wondering where to go breeding wise. I like the fact that pharaohs are easy to identify. I also think english whites remind me of angry little seagulls with a chip on their shoulder. Tuxedors color wise are really cute and then there's italians/creams.

About the only type of color I have not seen for sale down these ways is the silver type.

Attachments

• Sensors to try in it.jpg
    Sensors to try in it.jpg
    199.3 KB · Views: 1
  • Quail spacing.jpg
    Quail spacing.jpg
    136 KB · Views: 0
  • Nomorepowerfailureanxiety.jpg
    Nomorepowerfailureanxiety.jpg
    191.2 KB · Views: 0
  • New 2nd hand incubator.jpg
    New 2nd hand incubator.jpg
    203.2 KB · Views: 0
I'm not gonna lie. My mind has changed considering the company delivered on a Sunday. MADEINCHINA just ****ing oozes confidence and class.

Attachments

• chinagoodquality.jpg
    chinagoodquality.jpg
    276.1 KB · Views: 0
It's kinda funny, as I look at the 2nd hand incubator box it has the same quality assurances. Bigass INCUBATOR MADE IN CHINA.

I sometimes wonder with two incubators cranking out over maybe 200-300 eggs would it grind me down to try and make a business out of selling chicks? I was talking to some of the other peeps that do it here and they too sell out of their chicks at fast rates.

Well. As I look at these eggs. I think the quail eggs will go to uh my friend and I'm really thinking about using the new incubator on the chicken eggs. I stole them out from under some broody hens but they are only a few days old and it might be nice for diesel to have some more ladies and light a fire under my ass to tackle the laying box situation.

As they get older I'll probably install another 3 bay laying style box but go wood instead of plastic. And then if I was really smart. I'd put the wooden box where the current plastic one is since it'll be nice and dark and then bring the other coop inside where it's shaded out anyways. Two birds with one stone.

I had a down day today and didn't wake up until midday and wasn't even able to play with the coop. I need to install latches/doors. I need to make up the automated drinker. Then I'll need to make the roof and then put it all together. I'm hoping between the two tiers I can have around 24 quail split amongst the two tiers.

Attachments

• Todays haul.jpg
    Todays haul.jpg
    409.1 KB · Views: 1
Oh! That's right! I forgot to ask! What do you guys thinking about stacking incubators one on top of the other? They'd be still in their foam boxing of course. Just trying to think of where to put the chicken incubator.

Oh! That's right! I forgot to ask! What do you guys thinking about stacking incubators one on top of the other? They'd be still in their foam boxing of course. Just trying to think of where to put the chicken incubator.
It depends on the style of the incubator, but stacking them may interfere with air flow and might affect the temperatures. I wouldn't do it, personally.

Thank you. I try. I may not always be right, but I try.
Yeah but it's rare to find a person willing to impart knowledge so the other person doesn't sink. After the last incubator debacle I'm hesitant to use the low dresser or whatever those drawers are called that you put in the entry way. I do have a plastic table I might drag inside and use instead. That way I could have them side by side. Or better yet, I could try the garage. Just not sure if rats would think about getting inside a sealed incubator for eggs.

On the subject of moving the incubators, will the eggs be okay if I'm slow and gentle moving it? I think I probably will just have them running side by side on the table.

Back
Top Bottom