New Arrivals (Few toe injury pics for those squeamish)

Yeah but it's rare to find a person willing to impart knowledge so the other person doesn't sink. After the last incubator debacle I'm hesitant to use the low dresser or whatever those drawers are called that you put in the entry way. I do have a plastic table I might drag inside and use instead. That way I could have them side by side. Or better yet, I could try the garage. Just not sure if rats would think about getting inside a sealed incubator for eggs.
Rats have an even keener sense of smell than a dog and they can chew through nearly anything.
On the subject of moving the incubators, will the eggs be okay if I'm slow and gentle moving it? I think I probably will just have them running side by side on the table.
That shouldn't be a problem at all. Eggs get moved around by the hen all the time, so as long as you don't drop it you should be fine.

Rats have an even keener sense of smell than a dog and they can chew through nearly anything.

That shouldn't be a problem at all. Eggs get moved around by the hen all the time, so as long as you don't drop it you should be fine.
Inside and on the table then. I'll forgo the garage. I'll probably update the thread with the new layout. I was reading the manual on the incubator and it's got these modes but part of me just wants to do constant temp like the quail. Mind you, my success at quail eggs are far better than chicken.
I agree with Nabiki said about moving the incubator I had to move it during my last hatch while they were hatching and they all hatched fine.
I remember your thread, you got some cute bubbas in there. I'd love to get my hands on a silver. Take a chocolate as well. I wonder if Tuxedos are capable of becoming that full chocolate color. I speak in dog terminology sometimes.

Side by side do the babies develop...or not. I'm happy if I get a couple out of there. I'm way more confident on the quail. I tell you what. I love every day removing my nippy broody hen just to grab the eggs. I just close my eyes and think Oh here it comes and boy she's feisty. Her sister is soooooo much nicer. At least she can be removed easier. I just I wish I could shake them of the behavior. I'm wondering if the few dogs that got in at the time rattled them and they have a bit of PTSD. It's like every day the eggs get laid. Sugarboo says to her mate "Let's go let's go let's go"

It's a lot cuter when the quail are pecking at your arm when you're putting some new feed in. The gidge crew are little sweeties. Hoping it shows in the babies but I'll never know who are jakes and who are the new ones. Hoping to get an assortment. Lockdown will be on the 18th. I need more extension cords also.

Attachments

• LOADEMUP3.jpg
    LOADEMUP3.jpg
    239.5 KB · Views: 5
Well tonight the power went out and I haven't been keeping up with humidity on the chicken egg incubator, it started to stink once the power went and I just decided to scrap them and start on a fresh batch of quail eggs so moar and moar quail. I know this is a chicken site but oh well. If my broody hens weren't little egg eaters I'd trust them with a batch but they were nothing like seabird. She was a gorgeous little white hen with the fluffy cheek feathers? She ended up passing a while back but part of me would love to bring that feature back into my flock.

I wonder to myself how hard it would be to setup another chicken run for free hens that people give away. I have a tonne of free mesh. Think the big thing would be just the supports and cementing them in. Another idea is to maybe seal off one half of the chicken run and put a roost in there somehow. There's like a portapotty down the back I somehow wonder if I could tip on its side and suspend it while using the door as an entry ramp into the roost itself. I'd put some sort of bar in there. Could maybe support 6 chickens.

Neighbor will start having a bitch and moan if I start making a proper colorbond structure which...would be pretty easy to do since I have the materials on hand. I'd just mirror the design but I think I would use big round pine posts and cement them in since it would be exposed to the wind. I'd just have the door facing north so it would be protected.

Oh I totally forgot my question. So. I was also incubating the quail eggs but the temp is kinda hiigh to begin with here and they are pretty close so I'm deciding to roll the decide on them as opposed to the chicken eggs.

Question is this. If power went out for 4 hrs does this mean my lockdown date gets pushed forward 4 hrs as well? Or it's not that big of a deal.

Oh I totally forgot my question. So. I was also incubating the quail eggs but the temp is kinda hiigh to begin with here and they are pretty close so I'm deciding to roll the decide on them as opposed to the chicken eggs.

Question is this. If power went out for 4 hrs does this mean my lockdown date gets pushed forward 4 hrs as well? Or it's not that big of a deal.
Lockdown is pretty forgiving. The eggs would have continued to develop during those 4 hours, so I would leave lockdown as is. If it's within a day, you're going to be just fine.

Last edited:
Lockdown is pretty forgiving. The eggs would have continued to develop during those 4 hours, so I would leave lockdown as is. If it's within a day, you're going to be just fine.
Thank you for getting back to me. That's good then. I'm waiting on the quail to finish laying for the day and then I'll collect them all and run them in the other incubator. Not sure how many eggs will be there but there was quite a pile when I looked the other day. I'll update this with a pic when I get them all in.

I also sprayed the incubator down with metho and listerine just for a quick clean. I'll hit the eggs with some listerine as I put them in as well.

Well I'm loading again with 58 eggs. There was around 20 left over I think so if I had more rollers I could of had more. Eventually I want to get to the point of fully loading out the 240 two tier incubator to see how that might go. I need more egg layers though and trying to manage them has been a problem. I went out today to find one with its leg broken somehow so I'm facing the prospect of putting it down since it's in a bad way.

Attachments

• LOADEMUP4.jpg
    LOADEMUP4.jpg
    316.2 KB · Views: 2
Well the big incubator was put into lockdown and 2 days later a little chocobo has arrived. As more and more hatch it seems evident that Jake's crew is everywhere. More whites than the eye can see. No pharaohs or other colors yet. I don't know what that means. I mean I would of thought some of the gidge crew would of popped by now.

Attachments

• chocobo arrivals.jpg
    chocobo arrivals.jpg
    290.3 KB · Views: 2

Back
Top Bottom