New Arrivals (Few toe injury pics for those squeamish)

Pics

Dadanga

Songster
Aug 28, 2023
Perth down under
Gday everyone, yesterday I went out country to pick up some fresh stock of quail. Being in the urban region makes me envious of those types that can run a large farm like this breeder had. I probably picked up a few more male quail than I was supposed to! I was distracted by all the quail flying around in this horse stall. Only thing I really noticed with them is that a lot of them had poop around the toes that had to be cleaned off. Some still have wounds/missing toes after I used a small bowl of warm water and morning fresh to give them the jesus treatment (is there a better way to deal with 💩🦶?)

Plans today is to replace the lid of my 240L tote with aviary mesh/concrete mesh for strength. I'll also be buying another sack of gamebird starter/pawpaw ointment for the feet. Then I'll move Jake King and his women to the tote while I work on the main coop. Mostly I want to put a dedicated sand pit in rather than keep using a plastic cat litter tray (Also, is it a good idea to install a little sand pit in a brooder for the bubbas to play in? Might do that as well to the smaller brooder.) One other big problem I am finding is that the mouse mesh at bunnings is too small to allow poop to fall through and the next size up leaves cuts on their feet. So I'll probably be cutting out the smaller mouse mesh (6.5mmx6.5mm) I installed beneath their floor to stop vermin and just work on the bigger mesh (12.7mmx12.7mm) that's there and work on securing it better. The design is a bit like the one Slightly Rednecked did on Youtube but instead of slightly it's probably rednecked. Once I've cleaned it up a bit I'll post up some pictures as of now I'm a bit ashamed of it.

Anywho, on with the pics.

Attachments

• Brooder.jpg
    Brooder.jpg
    516.5 KB · Views: 68
  • 13.jpg
    13.jpg
    356.8 KB · Views: 22
  • 14.jpg
    14.jpg
    506.8 KB · Views: 23
  • 15.jpg
    15.jpg
    519.9 KB · Views: 23
  • 16.jpg
    16.jpg
    519.4 KB · Views: 23
  • 17.jpg
    17.jpg
    553.6 KB · Views: 22
  • 18.jpg
    18.jpg
    432.4 KB · Views: 22
  • 19.jpg
    19.jpg
    513.4 KB · Views: 25
  • 19a.jpg
    19a.jpg
    163.2 KB · Views: 23
  • 20.jpg
    20.jpg
    409.2 KB · Views: 24
  • 20a.jpg
    20a.jpg
    188.2 KB · Views: 21
  • 21.jpg
    21.jpg
    510.5 KB · Views: 23
  • Brooder a.jpg
    Brooder a.jpg
    524.1 KB · Views: 19
  • Brooder d.jpg
    Brooder d.jpg
    296.8 KB · Views: 16
  • 12.jpg
    12.jpg
    453 KB · Views: 16
  • 11a.jpg
    11a.jpg
    176.8 KB · Views: 14
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    388.9 KB · Views: 284
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    296 KB · Views: 11
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    394.4 KB · Views: 10
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    456 KB · Views: 9
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    508.2 KB · Views: 8
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    349 KB · Views: 15
  • 6a.jpg
    6a.jpg
    207.2 KB · Views: 13
  • 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    483.6 KB · Views: 14
  • 8.jpg
    8.jpg
    433.7 KB · Views: 8
  • 9.jpg
    9.jpg
    322.4 KB · Views: 8
  • 10.jpg
    10.jpg
    366 KB · Views: 9
  • 10a.jpg
    10a.jpg
    176.5 KB · Views: 10
  • 10b.jpg
    10b.jpg
    160.1 KB · Views: 10
  • 11.jpg
    11.jpg
    550.2 KB · Views: 11
Hello! I use emu aid max to heal my chicks injured toe. It worked really well without wrapping. I would keep them on softer bedding so they can heal. Poor things 😢. Watch out if the others start picking at the red injuries.

Hello! I use emu aid max to heal my chicks injured toe. It worked really well without wrapping. I would keep them on softer bedding so they can heal. Poor things 😢. Watch out if the others start picking at the red injuries.
Hi there! Yep. I've moved them onto shredded cardboard/paper bags. I also tagged them so I can find the injured ones easier. I went to the stockfeeds store and picked this cream up. Also decided to sacrifice some square plastic plant pots by cutting down one side so they now have some places to hide. Added one into the big tote for the younglings as well. What are your thoughts on the cream?

Attachments

• 20230918_124815.jpg
    20230918_124815.jpg
    252.7 KB · Views: 10
Finally got around to making the lid for the big 240L tote brooder. The only thing I need to add is like an strap or something to anchor it down more. That means Jake King's minions are now neighbors with the new arrivals. I'll add some pics of them. Thinking about using a plant saucer with some sand/soil for them to dustbathe in (right now they just scratch around in the shredded cardboard)

Attachments

• Gidge Crew keeping a watchful eye.jpg
    Gidge Crew keeping a watchful eye.jpg
    510 KB · Views: 13
  • 240L brooder.jpg
    240L brooder.jpg
    387.3 KB · Views: 10
  • 12.jpg
    12.jpg
    173.2 KB · Views: 10
  • 11.jpg
    11.jpg
    182.7 KB · Views: 10
  • 10.jpg
    10.jpg
    183.5 KB · Views: 8
  • 9.jpg
    9.jpg
    174.9 KB · Views: 8
  • 8.jpg
    8.jpg
    353.8 KB · Views: 9
  • 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    299.1 KB · Views: 6
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    222.4 KB · Views: 5
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    183.7 KB · Views: 5
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    196.5 KB · Views: 6
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    219.6 KB · Views: 6
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    280.7 KB · Views: 7
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    384.5 KB · Views: 8
Personally, I let them wander around in very shallow water until the poop balls fall off. It may take a few treatments to get it completely off.

As for the sand bath, I wouldn't give one to chicks under 3 weeks old. They're very good at finding creative ways to die, and eating sand instead of food is one of them.

Personally, I let them wander around in very shallow water until the poop balls fall off. It may take a few treatments to get it completely off.

As for the sand bath, I wouldn't give one to chicks under 3 weeks old. They're very good at finding creative ways to die, and eating sand instead of food is one of them.
I had a real idiot facepalm moment when I tried getting the first one off without water until it suddenly hit me. I am used to dealing with dags on dogs and sometimes it's a similar treatment.

It's funny when you say creative ways to die as I have witnessed one fly up, hit the half open lid on the cage and break its neck. It walked around before it died and while it was sorta gruesome I couldn't help but think "It's like lemmings all over again holy shit." and it made me fall in love with them even more.

No sandbath for the youngsters. Speaking of sand, what is the best? I'll be honest. Jake king and his women usually get garden soil from down the back and they just pick things apart. Is river sand better?

I had a real idiot facepalm moment when I tried getting the first one off without water until it suddenly hit me. I am used to dealing with dags on dogs and sometimes it's a similar treatment.

It's funny when you say creative ways to die as I have witnessed one fly up, hit the half open lid on the cage and break its neck. It walked around before it died and while it was sorta gruesome I couldn't help but think "It's like lemmings all over again holy shit." and it made me fall in love with them even more.

No sandbath for the youngsters. Speaking of sand, what is the best? I'll be honest. Jake king and his women usually get garden soil from down the back and they just pick things apart. Is river sand better?
I use plain old garden soil myself. If you have your heart set on sand, just use construction sand. It's cheap, doesn't clump, and works great.

I use plain old garden soil myself. If you have your heart set on sand, just use construction sand. It's cheap, doesn't clump, and works great.
Hey, I like free and easy! Sounds good to me! What do you think is more important for 5-8week old quails; houses for them to hide in or a sand pit? Only thing I don't like about this narrow brooder, not a lot of real estate to put things in.

My one and only coop is going to receive some attention very soon. You can see how the 6.5mmx6.5mm mesh traps all the poop underneath. What I should have done was to make the flooring out of a rigid wire panel rather than just the roll of aviary mesh. I bought them a new drinker today. I think I'll start ordering cups/drinkers from aliexpress and start coming up with a pvc system fed by a pump/res. Something that's modular.

Where you can see the sand pit is where I'll devote that entire side to it. I'll use the plastic panel material the same stuff you see as the walls. Also, I'll be cutting out the mesh on the roof since it's kinda droopy in places and making it solid with a little bit of mesh for that sea breeze.

My neighbor donated an aviary to me which is one of those round types. I've basically flipped it on it's head, repaired the rusted out flooring by going over it with colorbond/rivets. My only concern is that it's still sorta highish. The flooring material I will use on it will consist of a similar setup that I use as the lid for the 240L tote brooder. Basically big 100x100 mesh but I'll also go over that with the walling material that I cut from this aviary. It's kinda rectangular and I'm hoping with the 100x100 steel mesh it should be sturdy and keep the vermin out. I bought some hinges from bunnings because I also need to reattach the door (hinges were rusted out and needed new ones.)

Attachments

• poop coop b.jpg
    poop coop b.jpg
    332.1 KB · Views: 7
  • poop coop.jpg
    poop coop.jpg
    287.6 KB · Views: 6
  • Melvins Oven.jpg
    Melvins Oven.jpg
    451.8 KB · Views: 14

Back
Top Bottom