Float Testing, Checking Egg Viability For Late Or Overdue Hatching

Pics
I had a question about the float test.... I was told by an old farmer friend that if the egg floats straight up and down with just the air cell part out, that means it was viable but thatin order to determine if I had an embryo/developed chick inside it had to float somewhat at an angle with the air cell out. I did a test on some eggs that are on day 23 and which I can't see too well with candling. Most are dark below the air cell, some I just can't see through. All floated with just the air cell area out of the water, but all were straight up and down floaters. I didn't see movement but I didn't wait very long with each egg either. No pips visible, no peeps audible. Should I crack over the air cell, and just not puncture the inner membrane? Or just leave them a bit longer?

edited to add this link, which is what the farmer sent me to : http://www.avianaquamiser.com/posts/Float_test_of_egg_viability/

Last edited:
Should you do the float test before you incubate and dispose of the floaters? I had a lot of floaters and worried if they are really bad to incubate

Last edited:
Should you do the float test before you incubate and dispose of the floaters? I had a lot of floaters and worried if they are really bad to incubate
How old are the eggs? The only problem with floating then before incubation is the fact that it removes some of the natural bloom from the eggs which allows bacteria inside the shell. The only problem i see is the air cells are large is going to be the possibility of shrink wrapping the chick our the eggs being rotten inside and exploding in the incubator. Eggs store properly that are within a reasonable time frame of being laid to incubation shouldn't float.

Some from August and September I was waiting to switch out incubators but it took longer to get one now that I have another one I have to get the temperature right so I was tempted to use the little foam one but it keeps dripping water from the bottom. I noticed that when I opened the cabinet it smelled so I did the float test and bagged to throw away the floaters

I personally don't incubate anything over 10 days old but in the past I've went as long as 21 days but there are a lot of quitters and non starters. I wouldn't incubate anything older than 15 days personally but it's up to you. Check often for smelly eggs cause it will ruin your hatch if they explode.

Last edited:
HELP! Have tried our first incubator and eggs. So far they have been 5 days late. Cracked them open and they were half developed. But today chipped into a new one and saw feathers! I put it back in the incubator but don't know if it's alive or if I just did it in. It is not moving and has never pipped or chirped. What to do? Also have another one that was taken in on the 16th of November but decided not to touch it.

HELP! Have tried our first incubator and eggs. So far they have been 5 days late. Cracked them open and they were half developed. But today chipped into a new one and saw feathers! I put it back in the incubator but don't know if it's alive or if I just did it in. It is not moving and has never pipped or chirped. What to do? Also have another one that was taken in on the 16th of November but decided not to touch it.

I did a float test on a few of my coturnix eggs before lock down. Most of them sank slowly... kinda confused as to what that means? I just put them all in the incubator to play it safe. I would rather wait it out and see then find out I tossed out live chicks. I candled a few that sank slowly and I can't see through the egg but there are a few red veins visible in a couple....

Back
Top Bottom