Float Testing, Checking Egg Viability For Late Or Overdue Hatching

Pics
OK, that is what I was thinking.
smile.png
Thanks for all the help!

Great Post JJ
thumbsup.gif
This most definitely is sticky thread material. You have and will help many. I learned the"float test" when I was little. So we wouldnt eat a "bad egg" but whatever you use it for its dead on. I rarely post on this thread but it brought up good memories. Thanks Shawn

I am wondering if the float test is still useful for eggs that were definately good on day 18 (cancled eggs looked great) but now going into day 22 no pip, chirps, peeps, cracks, movement, nothing?

So I am desparate to know if the 'only' temp spike I had right after lockdown cooked my chicks at day 18 and now they are lost. Day 22 started at 6pm and by 8pm I tried the float test on one egg.

This egg is NOT touching the bottom, and the only thing floating is the 'air sac' area. So is this still a good test when I already knew I had a good air sac? I candle the egg after the float test and do not see movement, but I do see the dark mass and some veins leading to the air sac.

I took a unfertile egg from my refrigerator and it definately sunk to the bottom.

49600_fl0attest_first_hatch.jpg

Thanks for the post!!!

Quote:
OK OK AGAINST MY BETTER JUDGEMENT... I'LL BITE.

PLEASE EXPLAIN THIS? AS I HAVE NEVER SEEN IT NOR MANY OTHERS I HAVE ASKED TODAY

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom