Flock found on side of highway

Merritt Island BYC

In the Brooder
Jul 1, 2023
I rescued three birds along side a river on major highway in Florida... I’m not sure of the breeds or sex.
They’re all very different sizes and I’m new to chickens to be able to distinguish.
No one has laid any eggs but the littlest black bird crows so we know Hei-Hei is a roo.
They’re incredibly sweet birds so we can tell someone just dumped them…. Perhaps they’re too old to lay so the person justified setting them free (frustrating that the river is brackish so they had no fresh water🤦🏻‍♀️)
I brought them to a friend who was wanting a flock being that she’s just recently moved here from cross country.
But she is unsure what she can to do get them to lay. It’s been a while that they’ve settled in so I do not believe it to be stress related
Any advice is greatly welcomed and appreciated

Attachments

• IMG_8240.jpeg
    IMG_8240.jpeg
    824.3 KB · Views: 123
  • IMG_8234.jpeg
    IMG_8234.jpeg
    654.8 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_8230.jpeg
    IMG_8230.jpeg
    653.3 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_8227.jpeg
    IMG_8227.jpeg
    653.9 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_8233.jpeg
    IMG_8233.jpeg
    693 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_8232.jpeg
    IMG_8232.jpeg
    671.1 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_8236.jpeg
    IMG_8236.jpeg
    690.8 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_8237.jpeg
    IMG_8237.jpeg
    682.3 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_8238.jpeg
    IMG_8238.jpeg
    683.4 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_8239.jpeg
    IMG_8239.jpeg
    712.8 KB · Views: 28
I rescued three birds along side a river on major highway in Florida... I’m not sure of the breeds or sex.
They’re all very different sizes and I’m new to chickens to be able to distinguish.
No one has laid any eggs but the littlest black bird crows so we know Hei-Hei is a roo.
They’re incredibly sweet birds so we can tell someone just dumped them…. Perhaps they’re too old to lay so the person justified setting them free (frustrating that the river is brackish so they had no fresh water🤦🏻‍♀️)
I brought them to a friend who was wanting a flock being that she’s just recently moved here from cross country.
But she is unsure what she can to do get them to lay. It’s been a while that they’ve settled in so I do not believe it to be stress related
Any advice is greatly welcomed and appreciated
It looks like the other 2 are hens. If they are not laying I would recommend feeding them laying pellets that are not made by Purina we have had issues personally with that brand. But gorgeous chickens and good luck.

Ok, the biggest one has never crowed and is the most friendly. They’re amazing birds I just hope she’s not too old to lay
Laying abilities slow down after three years of age, but doesn't stop. Breed is also a factor of how many eggs you will get. She appears to be some kind of game bantam mix. Both game and regular bantams are known for being poor layers in general, so I wouldn't expect many eggs from her.

Ok, the biggest one has never crowed and is the most friendly. They’re amazing birds I just hope she’s not too old to lay
Crowing doesn't always mean male,it's good they're good tempered.
It looks like the other 2 are hens. If they are not laying I would recommend feeding them laying pellets that are not made by Purina we have had issues personally with that brand. But gorgeous chickens and good luck.
2 are male, 1 is female. Males and non laying birds should not eat layer feed, instead a good flock feed or grower with oyster shell on the side. There was never anything wrong with Purina feeds, just a perfect story of weather/age issues that people blamed on the feed. :]

Back
Top Bottom