Flock slowly being wiped out - possibly mareks??

If Marek's, then the battle is not over even after physical abilities are outwardly restored. Something goes wrong with immune system and you can expect complications associated with egg production. I have never had a bird last longer than a year even when apparent full recovery realized.

Lets hope it isnt Mareks then
fl.gif
. I treated her for mites yesterday with some spot on ivermectin. We havent seen any mites but it seemed a good idea to treat her anyway just in case. She cooed at me yesterday too thats the first sound she has made since I brought her home.

OK, I need some advice. Bought 15 Cornish Rocks chicks and 7 Production Red chicks Wed and Fri last week from Tractor Supply. They started sneezing yesterday and a couple sounds like they have the croop. I started treatment with Duramyacin 10. Any suggestion

Hi horseshoe13,
Im sorry but i have no experience with that. There is a list of possible causes here though: https://poultrykeeper.com/respiratory-problems/respiratory-disease-in-chickens/.

Fingers crossed for your new babies.

Gloria died last week, i didnt do a post mortem as the kids were too upset but it was quite sudden and a surprise as she had been improving.

I lost a duck this week to being egg bound with lash eggs. That was nasty poor baby. Not a great week, all round.

So very sorry to hear that. I know how heart breaking that is, especially after you had given her so much tlc Let's hope this is the end of a bad spell and things will go smoothly from now on.
hugs.gif

Hi,
Aam! What's the age of the chicks and the temperature around the coop and how often do you clean up the coop? That could help find out the cause of the sneezing. For now make sure they eat. Again the poop color could help as well. Chicks having NDV could sneeze and have a green droping.
Somtimes the dust in their feed could make them sneeze and cold weather could be the cause.

Thank-you KristieJG and I'm so sorry for your loss! Heart breaking I know. I ended up treating with Tylan 50 and it cleared them all up. They never stopped eating or drinking. I got lucky. Found out everyone who bought chicks from that Hatchery at Tractor Supply in Dyersburg TN all had the same problems. News got around fast. I will not ever buy chicks from them again. Thank-you everyone for the great advice.

So, can ducks get Marek's disease or not? One of mine died this week after taking it to the vet for paralysis. The vet indicated that it could have had Marek's, but everything I read says that it is really limited to affecting chickens.

Back
Top Bottom