Flocks feathers are gone around the vent and belly

Joemsjr

In the Brooder
Jun 22, 2022
Hi All,

I first noticed signs of feather loss from one of my chickens a few months back, but thought it was some feather picking. I know my coop was small, it was one of the omlet Eglu cubes (made out of plastic) for 5 birds. I’ve recently upgraded to a much larger coop 5x8 and only have four birds. All of them have feathers missing around the vent and belly. I’ve tried looking for mites and lice and don’t see any. Should I treat proactively with elector psp? Could they have worms (I don’t see any in their poop) ? Suggestions would be most appreciated.

Thanks,
Joe

Attachments

• IMG_0910.jpeg
    IMG_0910.jpeg
    392.5 KB · Views: 85
  • IMG_0908.jpeg
    IMG_0908.jpeg
    648.4 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_0911.jpeg
    IMG_0911.jpeg
    337 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_0912.jpeg
    IMG_0912.jpeg
    476.9 KB · Views: 19
Should I treat proactively with elector psp?
That's not the normal pattern for feather picking, more like the top back of the saddle.

Despite not seeing them.. the evidence being angry skin is there.. I would treat with the PSP. Even if the feathers somehow don't grow back in until molt (as damaged and broken ones may not).. the skin condition should be improved,. but please continue to monitor. What is their age? DE in dust bath may be extra drying to the skin, not recommended.

Worms don't cause depluming. They could still have some load. Only round worms and tape worms may be seen in droppings, under heavy load. Others (eggs) seen only under microscopic float. And even then possibly passed intermittently in both cases.

Other conditions that might be considered.. vent gleet, something like ascites (aka water bellly).. Seem more like to be parasites since the whole flock is experiencing some degree of it, but not being of the same genetic line/breed from what I can see. It might be influenced by nutrition (like feeding excess treats, if you care to discuss it) or some form of manual manipulation/rubbing (seems unlikely pattern), etc .. but my top place to start is the one that *seems* most obvious..

Other clues help rule out broody plucking.

You however must always use your best judgement.

Hopefully you will get some more feed back and also your ladies come back into their beautiful (functional) plumage quickly. :fl

Thank you for the thorough response!

I had been putting extra DE in the run so maybe that’s drying their skin out. I’ll stop that for now.

The only treats I give are the black soldier fly grubs. I give a handful every other day. I’ll have to do some research on the parasites.

I’m going to try the elector psp and see what happens from there.

Back
Top Bottom