1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Floor bedding during winter months?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Our Roost, Nov 30, 2012.

1. Our Roost

Our Roost Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2011
    ScottsVille, michigan
    I have a dirt floor in my 8'x 16' coop. Currently I cover the floor with straw in ample amounts. I usually rake it out and replace it every few weeks during the summer months. I wont be able to do that during the winter after the snow starts flying. Deep litter is a method talked about but I know little about. Do I just keep adding more straw as it mats down during the winter months or do I need to do or add something else?

2. Choco Maran

Choco Maran Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2009
    Ribera New Mexico
    you can add more or just fluff it up a bit. I would be careful not to get it to deep they may not be able to walk around very well.

3. Den in Penn

Den in Penn Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 15, 2011
    SE Pa.
    My grandfather rarely added straw over the winter he started with about six to eight inches fluffed up. Come spring there was more manure that straw in the pens. So you might want to add over the winter. Throwing scratch out for them in the litter they will help rake it and keep it loose. The area of the pen where the scratch was thrown stayed loose and was much easier to clean out than the areas where he didn't throw the scratch and had matted.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by