Floor Ideas?

I checked at a Lowe's last weekend but they didn't have anything for less than $200 for what *I* need -- my coop is big, though--around 19 x 8' (it's an old travel trailer converted to a coop). Thanks, though! and thanks also for the poop board advice... they do indeed poop a lot more there, sitting all night, but there's still plenty to go around, haha!

I used a rubberized roof coat product I got from Lowes. If it can stand up to the sun and all mother nature can throw at it protecting a roof, Covering an indoor chicken coop floor is nothing to this stuff. It comes in a 5gal bucket. To apply, just dump a BIG dollop of it on the floor and use a roller to push it where you want it. It will not only totally seal your floor, but it will also seal the gap where the floor meets the wall. Regular paint breaks down and flakes away over time. This stuff does not break down like linolium and have to be replaced. No moisture can EVER get trapped under it, like it can with vinyl flooring and damage your wood floor, Because it becomes PART of your floor. Cover your floor with this, and FUGGIDABOUTIT.
Jack

Quote:
Do you have a picture of what this looks like in the coop? I would LOVE to see it! Do you carry it up the walls as well?

I read about this in another thread and I'm considering this as an option. Could you also provide the exact name of the product? When I checked the Lowe's website, I was confused by so many similar products and what was what. I haven't found the salespeople at Lowe's to be helpful when I've had an inquiry, and I find it's best to have all ducks in a row and just go get what I need.
Thank you!

Quote:
Do you have a picture of what this looks like in the coop? I would LOVE to see it! Do you carry it up the walls as well?

I read about this in another thread and I'm considering this as an option. Could you also provide the exact name of the product? When I checked the Lowe's website, I was confused by so many similar products and what was what. I haven't found the salespeople at Lowe's to be helpful when I've had an inquiry, and I find it's best to have all ducks in a row and just go get what I need.
Thank you!

The product I used is called Blackjack roofcoat #57, if I remember correctly. But I would think any roofcoat product would work. I didn't really compare the products, I just grabbed one. They had a texturized product, but I didn't want to spend the extra money. I don't have any pictures of the floor right after I applied the roofcoat. Looking back on it, I wish I would have taken before and after pics. I did not go up the walls with it, But I did totally seal up the gap where the floor and wall meet. I used 4 full sized sheets of plywood for the floor and all of those gaps are sealed as well. I could, if I wanted to, fill the floor of my coop with water, and that water would probably stay there until I mopped it out or it evaporated. It is a tough floor covering for a chicken coop.
Jack

Floor? Oops - guess I didn't think of a floor! Just sunk my 4x4 posts, and built the coop around that, dirt floor. But my ground will never freeze, either. Go with whatever works for you!

Hm, what an idea!

Cheap, flexible, spreadable waterproof flooring that also insulates. around $40 for 4.75 gallons. Looks like it covers 25 sq ft per gallon, 2 coats (of 50 sq ft/gal) are recommended.

HOWEVER, you're supposed to apply during warm weather, and it contains petroleum products that can cause respiratory problems, so I couldn't put it in my coop till next summer. So... I may still be looking for the ideal flooring.

Here's the URL where it's sold on Lowes:

http://www.lowes.com/pd_70989-29-60...br|0||p_product_qty_sales_dollar|1&facetInfo=

Quote:
I like this idea and my try this when I get to that point. I just have a raised stand the coop will envelope and to of the four walls up.

Going to school after a full time job has my coop building time to a minimum.

JackE , Hey..I know the product you used. It is an elastomeric coating(water based) However, I would not recommend using "any" roof coating as most other roof coats are a petroleum based(i.e asphalt based) Wouldn't be good for chickens health. Just thought I throw that in the mix so no one is misguided.
Erik

We have a product I use in building quite a bit called "Blueskin" and it is a roll/trowel on elastomeric. It is used over cement board in showers as a water proofing membrane under tile and on exterior foundation walls.
This is a good idea as I have just lined all interior surfaces on my coop with fibercement board. I could blueskin the inside and put a drain hole in the middle of the floor with a plug. then lay a sheet of linoleum loose on top.

This essentially turns the coop into a shower pan allowing you to occasionally remove the linoleum for cleaning and hose/wash the common area of the coop down the drain onto the ground...

Oooo ideas. I have 3 gallons of the stuff in the basement. lol

Back
Top Bottom