Floor or No Floor??

tjebarr

In the Brooder
8 Years
Jul 3, 2011
I have read conflicting information on this subject. I have found an existing stick built chicken house that I am relocating to my property to replace the dog kennels that i have been using. The chicken house has a plywood floor in it that will need to be replaced and the building is set up of the ground on blocks. The hens seems to really enjoy the dirt floor they have now and are constantly burying themselves in it. I am inclined just to reconstruct the building on treated 6 x 6's on the ground with no floor? What is your experience with either method ?? Appreciate the input.

I think you'd have to bury landscaping cloth (I think that's what american's call it... the heavy duty small squared wire) way down so that predators don't dig down and up into your hen house. oh, and wether or not your ground freezes in the winter... can't see that being too comfortable for the hens but if you're some place moderately warm, it shouldn't be too bad

If you wanted the run to be just dirt, which we've done, that would be great. As far as the coop you might have a problem with predators digging in. Also, in rain the ground could become soaked and muddy which might be another problem. Did you mean the coop or the run?

I live in an area of clay. I also live on a slanted hill. That being said I hated the soil in the coop. I could not keep it really dry and it smelled. The wood chips would mix with the dug up soil and was heavy and hard to remove. Again odor. If you have sand and very good drainage, you could dig out and put wire down but I tried that and did not like it at all. I have since put plywood and vinyl down. Then my wood chips stay dry and the hens seem happy to scratch in them as well. I have a covered area outside that is dug out and deep sand for their dust baths. Its much easier to keep clean and dry. No mold to contend with either. If your climate is humid I def. would go with a floor. Gloria Jean

I would refloor it and elevate it off the gound about a foot or more so they can get under in the shade. They will dig dusting holes under there.

Most agree that the coop needs to be raised. This is to keep moisture at a minimum in their "living area" and to keep predators at bay. Kind of like building them a little fort to lay eggs and brood in.
If the coop is built inside the run, then the area under the coop is good to keep rain off their food and also gives them extra run space.

I am tlalking abot the actual coop, which is made of thick oak boards with a metal roof. The run will be all bare ground/grass. The existing coop has a wooden plywood floor but it is in need of replacing. When I take it apart and move it, instead of putting a plywood floor back in it, i was just going to build it up on 6 x6 timbers laying on the ground

thanks for the feedback - sounds like putting a floor in is the way to go. I can see the past couple of weeks that full shade would be appreciated under the coop.

i was just going to build it up on 6 x6 timbers laying on the ground

It will last a LOT longer if you set it on blocks or bricks so there is no ground contact.

Even treated lumber will rot when directly on the ground.

Raise it a few inches and use wire apron to prevent digging.

A dirt floor will be fine as long as it's dry​

Back
Top Bottom